Part 45

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Conrad mutters, stepping around a gigantic puddle.

Her boots stopped being waterproof two streets ago.

Pulling her jacket tighter around her, she curses herself repetitively as she dodges people on the sidewalk.

How's it going?, Carlos links her, amusement heavy in his tone.

I regret ever leaving. It's awful here; I would rather be stuck in the woods with Scarlet trying to make me adopt those children again, Conrad complains, keeping her head down.

She's almost at the building, and that's the only thing keeping her going. She wasn't able to get a taxi; they were all booked when she was leaving the hotel.

It looks horrific on the news. Rina asked to speak to you this morning, and she laughed when she found out you went into the city. Can you see the guards?, Carlos asks, and Conrad glances over her shoulder, making eye contact with the two men in suits.

They're walking side by side and talking into cell phones.

Yeah, I can see them. They're blending well at the moment, but once I get to the business estate, they're going to stick out like sore thumbs, Conrad warns him, and she can hear him laughing over the link.

Not to fear, Connie. I have that sorted out, too; I wouldn't leave you alone, he chuckles.

I want to die. Please just let me die, she whines, making the turn towards the buildings.

What would I do if you died? I'd be a miserable old Scrooge; you're not allowed to die, he shoots back, I've gotta go. We have a meeting starting now. Look for Starla when you get inside. I love you, goodbye!

Conrad is so shocked that she can't even reply.

They haven't really said that they love each other, although it's been implied pretty heavily.

She can feel the blushing in her cheeks fending off the icy cold, and she can't stop the smile from breaking out on her lips.

She gets a strange look from a woman walking by, and her smile quickly drops into a scowl.

Conrad can finally see her destination, and she breaks into a quick jog as she crosses the wide road, ready to fling her hands out in front of her in case she slips on the disgusting slush.

She nods to the guards who are following her, and they take their seats in the car by the curb, nodding to her.

She breathes in slowly as she walks onto the campus, the scent of vampires filling her nose.

"Ew," she murmurs, making a beeline for her building.

They're no harm, they just work in accounting in one of the other firms, but their scent is pungent when the weather is like this.

Conrad pushes the front door open, and as soon as she does, a young woman appears in front of her.

"Skyla!" She introduces, throwing her hand out to Conrad.

Conrad raises an eyebrow, nodding slowly.

"You don't happen to be related to Starla, do you?" She asks wryly.

Is her name Skyla or Starla?, Conrad sighs into the link.

It could be Skyla. It's something with an 'S' and a 'la' at the end, okay? She's ginger, Carlos responds quickly, shutting the link just as fast.

"No, not that I know of! I was sent by Mr Amaretti to help you today," Skyla chatters, herding Conrad towards the elevators.

Conrad flashes her badge to the security guard, who nods and lets them into the lift.