Part 32

"She can't get away with this," Scarlet cries out, slamming her hands onto the table.

They didn't even take the time to change before coming back to the office.

Scarlet was afraid Conrad would do something she would regret if they had any diversions.

Conrad herself is sitting in the armchair in the boardroom, her face completely blank.

"Scarlet relax. She won't; we have the tape," Carlos barks back, nodding to Conrad.

They had all downloaded the tape, and it had been backed up to the cloud and hard drives in the office as soon as they had arrived.

Conrad's eyes are firmly fixed on the hardened mud on her boots, her elbows leaning against her thighs.

"She'll say it's doctored," Scarlet roars in Carlos' face.

A stern look from him makes her step back a little, and he nods.

He's still her boss, and his wolf is furious at the disrespect Carlos is allowing.

"Are you sure she didn't know you were there?" Carlos asks calmly, looking at Conrad.

She looks up, pursing her lips.

"She definitely didn't. We didn't even expect her to be there; we didn't know he had a meeting in the woods," Conrad quietly responds, rubbing her temples.

"It doesn't make sense that she'd have a meeting so out in the open, especially if she's trying to kill me. She knows someone is following her," Carlos reasons and Scarlet rolls her eyes, slapping the table.

"Amaretti, we were four hours into the forest. It wasn't out in the open at all; it would be literally impossible for anyone to hear them," Scarlet complains, shaking her head.

"Four hours means nothing when witches are involved," Carlos spits in her direction.

Conrad can see the vein in his neck pulsating, and her eyes focus on that.

"You need to get her accounts frozen," Conrad notes softly, and Carlos shakes his head.

"I can't do that; I don't work in the financial departments. I know someone who does, though," he trails off into a mutter, going over to the table at the top of the room.

He dials in a familiar number, sitting on the table.

"Laurie. I need you here if you can get away," he says quietly, keeping the conversation vague and brief.

"Why? Is there a problem?" Laurie chirps back, and Carlos grimaces.

He's convinced his phone lines are being bugged - Conrad and Scarlet agreed, testing the theory out with some bad acting in the form of gossip, noting the echoing noise that occurred in between them talking.

"No problem. I have a surprise for you," Carlos sighs, and Laurie squeals, hanging up the line.

"Do you think she'd hurt Laurie?" Conrad asks, a frown on her face.

Laurie Hutch had become a fast friend. She was the only female High Alpha in the containment and control division, half of what Carlos dabbled in. The other half of his business was enforcement.

She had sought Conrad out in the middle of her first week, befriending her with her erratic chatter and excited laughing. Conrad enjoys having such a free spirit as a friend, especially since Charlotte was back in their pack.

Scarlet was more on the stern side, and her sense of humour was dry and slightly cruel.

Laurie found everything enjoyable, and she made Conrad giggle like she was back in elementary school.