Part 61

Everyone is quiet before breakfast. This was usual in the Rosser household - none of them were exactly morning people.

Carlos is terrified for the meeting, although he doesn't let the others see. Conrad can sense it through their bond, her hand absently going towards her neck.

Carlos had marked her the night before.

It wasn't a big event, and it was something they had quietly agreed upon on the way back from the field they had relaxed in for a while. Carlos had wanted to mark her anyway, and he had explained that he thought it would give them a better chance of keeping Sabrina if they had all of their i's dotted and their t's crossed.

Barbara had squealed when she noticed it, but quickly sobered up when Sabrina had appeared at the top of the stairs looking very confused.

"Conrad, why can I feel you?" Sabrina asks, hopping down the stairs, holding the bannister.

"What?" Conrad probes, raising a brow.

"I can feel that you're excited. And scared. Why?" Sabrina frowns, sliding her hand into Conrad's.

"Oh. Your dad marked me," Conrad informs her awkwardly.

Carlos appears at the top of the stairs, looking like he was dragged backwards through a bush.

His neck is worse than Conrad's. It wasn't in her nature to bite, so she didn't feel any draw to a particular area of the neck. There was always a certain area of the neck for mates to mark. Conrad had been marked on the front of her throat, just above to hollow.

Carlos had multiple faint puncture wounds from Conrad's canines, and then finally had figured out where to mark, an almost identical place as hers.

Carlos' hair was in a messy ponytail, which was unusual for him. He usually prided himself in his hair's appearance, braiding it or tying it back - or at least combing it. His white t-shirt is creased, and he's still wearing his pyjama bottoms as he appears.

"And you marked dad," Sabrina grins, giggling as she looks at her dad.

"Yeah, I did," Conrad cringes, slightly horrified.

She didn't think she did it that badly, but the injuries on his throat would disagree with that opinion.

"What time are we meeting them at?" Sabrina asks suddenly, her hand searching for Conrad's again. Conrad is closer to her than Carlos, and the show of affection makes Carlos smile.

"In two hours. So we have time to get ready, and have a really good breakfast," Conrad replies, checking her phone for any texts she missed.

Silas stomps down the stairs past Carlos, his face like thunder.

"Dad?" Conrad asks curiously, raising an eyebrow.

"They're here early. They're ruining my plan," Silas grits out, shoving his feet into his boots and lacing them up roughly.

"Early?" Carlos repeats with a frown, walking down the remaining steps.

"Well, we have an agreed upon meeting time. We don't have to see them until then," Conrad frowns, shaking her head stubbornly.

"Breakfast time!" Barbara declares brightly, leading Sabrina out of the hallway.

"I can still hear them if they're giving out," Sabrina complains, and Barbara closes the kitchen door firmly.

"Do we go and see them early to get it over with?" Carlos grimaces, and Conrad shakes her head.

"No. I'd say this is an attempt to catch us off guard and try make us go to them early, but no. We set a time, and it was agreed upon by everyone, so there's no reason for us to go early," Conrad shrugs.