Chapter 8

Rika and Xion came with you to your locker as you put away your biology folder and took the one for literature. They informed you that for mythic studies—which Fai taught—you didn’t need the folder today, or even the laptop, you in return, leaving both in the locker along with your backpack—which you would get after eating—before shutting it. The two girls led you to the cafeteria across campus, and before you knew it, you were already in the designated building, waiting in the lunch line which was a hall leading to the actual room, while looking at the interior.

The floor was checkered black and white, the walls an inviting crimson color. Overhead, the ceiling held circular lights, and the buffet counters where the choices of food rested were made of silver metal bars, and covered at an angle by white glass to prevent the steam from escaping too much. After you had gotten your food, you turned left into the actual lunchroom and marveled at the beauty of it, the first thing catching your eye being a large white marble fountain with three tiers—a large crystal orb in the middle, shimmering brightly from even the clouded sky’s light.

This brought your attention to the celling which was made from glass, angled at numerous degrees to have the light hit certain objects perfectly. The tables were the same marble as the fountain, and were carved to make circular of rectangular shapes. In each corner, there was a statue of a granite black dragon looking up and shooting water from its mouth into a small pool that surrounded it with shimmering red gems for eyes, and white chains around its wrists and ankles. The northern end across from the lines was a large window that overlooked the green grass and dirt road of the circular track.

Xion called your attention back and you followed once more as she and Rika made way to a table by the window. As you approached, you recognized Olette, Hayner, Pence, Namine, Natsu, Vanitas, Sora, Riku, and Roxas sitting at it. Kairi, Selphie and Chiyoko were at the table too, sitting in a triangle formation—Chiyoko between Sora and Riku with Roxas across from her who was sandwiched between Selphie and Kairi. The two girls took seats across from one another at the end, but as soon as you set your tray down to sit beside Rika, the table got quiet. Ignoring it, you were to sit down anyway when a scoff stopped you, and you looked up at the perpetrator.

“First you try and steal my friends, now you’re invading my space?” Chiyoko crossed her arms; nearby tables of those you knew turning their attention to her. “Who do you think you are?”

“[Name],” Rika frowned,” we’re friends with everybody. Just let Amaya sit here and—”

“And what huh?” she stood. “Why should I?”

“That’s right!” Kairi nodded. “If [Name]’s uncomfortable with someone here, why should they get to sit?”

‘Why weren’t you like this when I first met you?’ you thought, shaking your head as Selphie continued.

“Yeah! If it were any one of you guys, [Name] would stand by your choice.”

“Just look at her,” Chiyoko stood and pointed. “That INNOCENT,” she emphasized, air quoting,” look is nothing but trouble.”

“The only one who’s making trouble here is you,” you narrowed your eyes, picking up the tray. “But since I want to avoid having a fight on my first day, I’ll spare you the trouble and go on my own accord.”

“Amaya,” Xion sighed with a frown. “You shouldn’t have to—[Name] doesn’t own the table. Besides, you’re here as our friend, not hers!”

“Maybe next time,” you smiled, turning away to the neighboring table.

However, as soon as you did, something soggy yet hard smacked against your back, making you freeze in place. Kei and Kai who were sitting with Ven and some other boys at the table you were going for stood immediately, Kei rushing towards you. He asked if you were alright, but no answer came from your lips as your fists clenched the handles of your black tray tightly, feeling the food slide down your back like slime before hitting the floor with a splat. You slammed your tray on the table where Zack and Axel sat, the two exchanging worried glances.