Chapter 43

"Everyone, if you don't know me already, I'm Fai D. Flourite, and I'll be your teacher for this class period, teaching Aether Analysis! Now go ahead and get acquainted with one another, and take the packet at the front of the classroom—we'll be discussing our guidelines and expectations for this class."

Excited for the end of school, you continued to read more about the book you had checked out. The earlier class before this was foreign language, but due to a safety drill, was canceled with all the other second period classes, leaving you in study hall for an hour longer than usual, upon the P.E field. In addition to Noel in the class with you, the original group from the previous semester seemed to make their way into the class as well: Shuyin, Raizo, Hope, and Reks. Out of them, Yazoo peculiarly was the only one missing. During then, that thought quickly faded as you were given your new locker combination for the same locker—as a security measure—and was informed the previous binders were recycled, or if not used, donated.

Now, however, you were in third period, being taught by Fai. You managed to get here with Tifa's help, and with the bell just ringing, you had no indication of who was in your class, especially over the chattering of the students. Leaning with your back against the wall to the right, you waited to be questioned as soon as Fai stepped back into the room.

"Yo, here!" A packet was tossed upon your desk.

"Ah, Vanitas! Thank you!" you quickly said, in return, fumbling to keep it in a position you assumed was upright.

The ravenette laughed," Dude, does it matter if you have it upside down or not? You're blind, in case you forgot."

"I'm aware," you sneered back, making him chuckle once more.

"C'mon, don't be pissy—I'm not excited about this class either."

"What IS aether anyways?" you asked curiously.

"Hell if I know. I think it's this stuff inside everyone, but, something also having to do with mana too? It determines who has the power to be a power."

"And...this class—"

"Is essentially telling us how not to fuck up and why we're not weirdos."

"O-Oh...I was gonna say it in a nicer way...," you murmured, cringing.

"Alright, let's start now shall we?" Fai announced, returning to the room.

Aether is a chemical within everyone, and its amount inside a person is determined by their reaction to the outside world, how they are able to adapt, and their overall state of health. Their structure is the equivalent of atoms, and in same worlds within the universe, they crystalize, allowing for a greater use to those with no powers as well. Overall, they were a combination of mako, and even held the basic principles of atoms, you concluded.

Partnered up for the remainder of the period, you were to discuss the dynamics of aether, and with Vanitas as the only one you know so far, you conversed with him. As the topic got off track just as the others, he sat on your desk, leaning against the wall just as you were. The bell rang soon enough, and as you were helped out of class, Fai stopped you near the door.

"So...how are things, Amaya?"

"Fine, thank you," you answered curtly. "Excuse me."

"Ah-ah-ah, I have a question for you—a favor really."

"...I don't think I can help you."

"Nonsense! Vanitas, if you would excuse us, please?"

"Not a chance," the ravenette replied, his voice stern. "No big deal, I'm not doing anything anyway."