Chapter 9

You sneezed once more, making you groan and slump in the stool you sat in at the kitchen counter. Kai, who was the only one home when you came in, chuckled as he poured chicken noddle soup in a bowl, placing it on a tray along with his own choice of food as he motioned for you to follow him into the living room.

Once you had arrived home from school in the soaked state you were in, you had immediately taken a shower and dressed in a warm set of dark blue pajamas. When you came downstairs again to look for food to eat, you found Kai at the stove making himself a sandwich. He informed you his brother was doing his shift at Café Alps, and after seeing you have a sneezing fit leading to a stuffed nose, he took the liberty of cooking you something more in order to fight back against the oncoming cold you were sure to have.

“I feel so stupid,” you mumbled, plopping down on the floor beside the ravenette as he turned on the TV, voice distorted from your unventilated sinuses. “I just HAD to run away like a little kid into the pouring rain and get sick!”

“C’mon [Name], don’t be so hard on yourself,” the teen patted your back,” your actions were completely understandable.”

“But stupid.” When he didn’t respond, you turned to him demandingly,” Kai~?”

He sighed,” Okay, there are better approaches. Who cares though? If you’re sick, you can stay home from school!”

“But I just started,” you frowned. “I’m not staying home all day!”

“[Name]—”

“Oh yeah! I have a question…about you and your brother.”

“Yeah?” Kai turned to you.

“What is the past between you, Kei and I? He never told me, and when I passed out that night at Seventh Heaven, I had this…this dream where he was calling for me, slaying down warriors who stood in his way. Then when I woke up, I saw that he had a teardrop coming out of his eye. I remember that during summer I had overheard him telling Vincent, Zero, Kadaj, and Cloud that Wasurete and I were old souls—as well as others.”

“That…,” the ravenette exhaled deeply. “My brother...Hm…Okay, Kei and I were born during the Joseon period. I was more of a scholar whereas he was a warrior—both of us growing up under the watch of your father who was a friend to ours that passed away when our kingdom got taken over by a power hungry aristocrat.”

“Your mother?”

“She was…I don’t know,” he shook his head. “I never heard about her or met her, so I’m guessing she wasn’t from a royal family. We were only babies when the kingdom fell, and considering the time, she was either taken as a prisoner or killed.”

“I’m sorry,” you looked down. “…Continue.”

“Right, well…”

***

It was 6PM—finally time for the afternoon workers of Café Alps to leave work as their relives came. Zack was getting the dishes, Kei placing them in the dishwasher, Ven making sure the final tables were served, and Rika counting the money for their shift, placing it in the designated safe in the back room. The four then went to the employee locker room when seeing that everything was settled to get their things.

“Oh, Kei,” Zack called, slinging his backpack across his torso.

“Yeah?” the ravenette looked up from checking his phone, a text message from his brother saying you had gotten home safely.

“Okay,” Ven snickered, Kei rolling his eyes as he shoved the blonde.

“Um…is Amaya alright?” Zack scratched the back of his head. “Today wasn’t really her day, so I was kinda worried.”