Chapter 39

"T-Tifa?" you finally spoke up, voice coming out hoarse. "Where's the bathroom?"

"Upstairs, first door to your right," she answered. "Ven, show her the way."

"Ugh," the blonde sighed, walking around the counter. He took you by the hand, tugging you, making you stumble off the stool, falling to your knees. "Ah, s-sorry!" he quickly apologized, helping you up.

"What happened!?" Tifa whirled around, quickly jogging over. She shot Ven a glare," You could be a little more careful—she can't see."

"I-I know that..."

"I can get there myself, if you don't want to help," you said in a whisper, dusting yourself off.

Tifa laid a hand on your shoulder, guiding you to the staircase," Just yell if you need anything okay?" You nodded.

Stumbling up the stairs, in a careless half-run, you clutched at the railing that guided you there, falling to your knees right at the top. Swallowing back as you got to your feet, your hands furiously tapped the walls to your right, looking for the doorframe of the bathroom. Finding it, you proceeded to feel for the doorknob, growling in frustration as it didn't turn.

"Just a second!" a voice called on the other end.

You stepped back, hands nervously fidgeting as you waited for the door to open. When it did, you run forward, colliding with the person who was getting out as you squeezed in between them, and the doorframe. Spinning on your heel, you forcefully closed the door, causing the person to stumble forward. Finding the knob, you locked it, then began slowly sliding against the door, sitting on the cold tile of the floor with your head against the wood in front of you. The steam that lingered in the air made you uncomfortably take deep breaths, and you bit your lip, refusing to believe what you had just pieced together.

'It can't be... Why would he...? ...It can't be...'

***

"Hey, was that Amaya?" Cloud asked, trudging down the stairs shirtless and in a pair of black cargo pants, drying his hair with a fluffy baby blue towel.

"Mm," Tifa nodded, turning off the faucet and beginning to wipe her hands dry with a small kitchen towel. She faced the blonde, leaning with her back against the sink. "Aoi asked if I could watch her today, and I agreed.

"Who's Aoi?"

"One of the refugees from over summer remember?" The blonde shrugged carelessly, draping the towel around his shoulders, shuffling over to the refrigerator. "Is she alright?"

"I don't know, she pushed me out of the way on her way in. Her face was a little...a little more than in a rush to go to the bathroom..."

"Maybe Ven hurt her feelings..."

"What did I do!?" Ven groaned in protest, whirling to face the two over the countertop.

***

A knock came to the door, startling you. Coughing, you cleared your throat and shakily stood up, using the counter of the sink for support. For a long while, you had just sat there, contemplating whether or not you could have just mixed up your information. But, sorting things out, there was no way you made a mistake. You wanted to cry, wanted to scream, but nothing came out other than small whimpers, and a stinging pain in your eyes.

Another deep breath escaped your lips and you reached out, unlocking the door slowly and opening it in the same manner, making it creak in protest. Unaware of who was in front of you, you proceeded to walk forward, when, instead, an arm extended out with the hand against the doorframe, not allowing you to pass.