Chapter 14

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale—sudden gasp—cough.

Your breathing stopped suddenly as you shot awake. Coughing violently, you sat up to find yourself in bed rather than on the back porch of Prompto's house. A relieved sigh escaped your lips as a small, damp, white cloth that was folded into a thin rectangle fell from your forehead, onto your lap with a small pat. Your palm went to your forehead, and it jolted back from the heat in the same second. You made a disgusted noise at getting sick again, but even that was altered into a weird snort, indicating a sore throat. Groaning, you plopped down on your back, hands covering your face and ignoring the burning heat in protest.

Staying in that position for a few more minutes, you finally exhaled deeply and sat up again, placing the small cloth on your nightstand, beside your phone, as you got out of bed. You were still in the dress from last night, hair disheveled, eyes slightly reddened, and face spotted with thin beads of sweat. Dragging your feet in the soft house slippers, you grabbed a towel and exited your room, glancing outside the window at the blue sky, the sun peeking out every now and then between migrating gray rain clouds.

About a half hour later, you exited the shower and got dressed for the day. Finding a bathing suit in your closet, you were thankful Desu had forced you into taking it as your fingertips brushed against the silky black pieces of clothing. On top of that, you threw on a black off the shoulder shirt and red shorts similar to the ones you wore for P.E, before tying your hair in a ponytail. You then shoved your phone in your pocket, as well as your wallet, health folder, a towel and change of clothes into your duffel bag after removing your treasured belongings in it into a spare box within the closet beside the unopened ones from your suitcase.

Slinging the bag across your torso, you exited the room, yawning as you wrapped black cloths similar in texture and appearance to bandages around your hands for a better grip than gloves. Making sure you had also gotten your glasses, you trudged down the stairs one by one, holding onto the wooden banister for support, almost tripping at the last step. Kei looked up from typing on his laptop at the counter and frowned as you sat next to him; Kai placing a plate of solely bacon in front of you.

"[Name]-hime, you really shouldn't go try out in your condition," Kei sighed, pushing away a loose, short strand of hair from your eye. "You're still sick."

"I told you not to call me that. Besides, I'm fine," you croaked, voice hoarse, causing you to clear your throat. "It's just a sore—"

"You have a fever again," he interrupted as you began eating. "And why are you feeding her that?" he turned to Kai. "She's sick—at least give her some orange juice!"

"Nu-uh," Kai shook his head. "She's trying out. Too much food will be bad in water, and she needs meat, it'll last longer in her stomach. After this, it's one bottle of water."

"That's..." Kei's jaw tightened. "[Name]...[Name], you're not going, and that's final."

"Who are you—Wasurete?" you scoffed, his eye twitching. "I WANT to go Kei-seok, and as far as I'm concerned, you're in no position to order me around."

"Ooh~, she called you by your whole name," Kai snickered. You stood, chewing the last of your bacon as the younger twin placed a few pieces of what looked like wrapped little candies in your bag. "Cough drops~! They'll hold up every two hours just in case. Also, you're going to Cid's for a project right?"

You nodded, turning," Might be home late too."

"[Name]," Kei frowned, grabbing your wrist. "Please, stay home. You're really sick and we can't risk you—"

You sighed, turning around," Kei, I was really hoping I didn't have to do this."

"Do what?" his face crossed with worry, as Kai chuckled, leaning against the wall.