Chapter 28

Practice had gone well, running about two and a half hours, letting you leave the campus around five when the sky was a dark gray. During then, Laguna was organizing the performances, taking suggestions for what to do and choosing a set list. The majority were group ones because of the holiday season, but there were solos splashed in here and there. A play was also hanging for debate, and that was to be decided next meet.

You had dressed in your uniform for the mission—which you found delivered in a small package by the doorstep when coming home—after showering. It was a simple scrubs outfit of dark green, usually worn by a nurse. Beneath that, you had a black tank top and shorts with matching latex gloves within the pockets. You left your hair down after combing it in order to hide your face if you needed to; your part in the mission didn't require you to take on an appearance, so you needed all the help you could get. When you completed your ensamble with the fake ID card, you removed your phone from the charger and rechecked the email sent to you by Verdot.

Mission Details

Objective: Infiltrate Twilight Town Central Hospital and into the morgue downstairs dressed as a nurse. Find locker R-20 and euthanize the corpse then retrieve the microchip that will be released. Successfully escape and return to the rendezvous point.

Rendezvous Point: Twilight Town – Town Square

Within the package delivered to you, there was also a black backpack. Unfolding it, you put in the package the box came in and the ring box you received from Toshizo. Of course, you didn't need the last item, but because of what happened with Kei in the morning, you felt safer knowing it was with you. Additionally, you contemplated taking your phone, but in the end decided against it as it only could have been a distraction, leaving it upon your nightstand.

As you were about to leave your room, you heard a soft murmuring outside. Slowly opening your balcony door, you crouched down and blended in with the shadows that the house cast without the moonlight. There was a light drizzle, and you made sure to stay out of it while peering through the bars of the railing, looking down to see Fai and Kei standing upon the wooden platform.

"Eh? What...? What do you mean you mean I need to lie to Amaya?" Kei's voice was barely a whisper, but shocked nonetheless.

"I came here...," Fai paused, pursing his lips," ...only to tell you that Noa's funeral will be held this Sunday... Rather than burying him, I have decided on cremation—sending his ashes over the ocean back on Earth afterwards." At this, your hands flew to your mouth, holding you back from screaming as you shook your head in disbelief. Fai did have guardianship over what happens to Noa but...

"But then...what am I supposed to lie to Amaya about?"

"I decided that I only want Kurogane and I to be there for the procession, and although Noa and Amaya were incredibly close, maybe you can tell her that he has gone to a hospital in Midgar for treatment. I haven't spoken to her about the incident, and since she hasn't brought it up, I'm assuming that you didn't tell her?"

"...I... I did...," Kei answered slowly, shaking his head.

"I'll rearrange her memories then," Fai sighed, running a hand through his hair. "She doesn't need to—"

"No," the ravenette said sternly, shaking with rage ever so slightly as he narrowed his eyes. "I apologize, but I cannot allow you to do that to her. Noa was a dear, dear person to Amaya and lying to her about his funeral procession is depriving the two from their last encounter—mortal or not. At the very least, you can inform her you do not want her to be there... But toying with the memories of her heart...I will stop you—I can promise that."

"I see..." the blonde nodded slowly, a sad smile forming upon his face. "Well then, please pass on the message of the funeral... I think though, it will just be Kurogane and I... I'm sorry."