Chapter 27

Upon the courtyard of the temple, a man cloaked in a black robe with a hood over his head had his hands together in a gesture to cast a spell, teleporting the students that stood with him upon the concrete back home. You stood with Ryuushin, Hiro, and the twins, quietly kicking at the concrete as it glowed with an unidentifiable white insignia, and the wind picked up, blowing cherry blossoms to swirl around like a snowstorm of pale pink in a light rain.

You had said goodbye to the Shinsengumi, the shinobi, and the oni—promising to come back and visit when you could as everyone was changing back into the school uniform. The three groups were upon the platforms, watching as everyone was slowly denigrating into shining white dust particles from the man's spell, until finally, the courtyard flashed, and those not from Edo were gone.

Now upon the front yard of the school grounds, a long sigh passed your lips, and you slumped your shoulders, shuffling across the grass to the walkway. It was Wednesday night—about nine PM—and the sky was blurred from view with a thick layer of dark gray clouds. Your group walked home with a merging of two others, making a rather large throng of students take up the nighttime sidewalk.

Finally home, you were the last to go through the door. You lingered there, feeling for the presence you had felt watching you along the walk home. When there was nothing even after you had surveyed the yard, you shook your head and stepped through the threshold—going straight to your room, then the bathroom, to shower and change out.

Once out in a comfy ensamble of a black tank top and matching pajama bottoms, you were drying your hair when you heard murmuring coming from downstairs. Following the voices, you leaned against the wall leading to the family room and listened in.

"I apologize that even I am of not much use," Kei murmured in Japanese. "[Name]-hime...I feel so sorry for her...yet....I—"

"Kei-seok, you are only to protect [Name]—I don't expect you to solve her problems."

At hearing the voice, you ran into the room and tackled the man that was sitting on the recliner across from the Christmas tree. "Daddy!"

"Ah...[Name]," your father smiled, hugging you back—he wore the hooded cloak of the teleporter. "How are you?"

"So you were the one watching me on the way home... You were the teleporter too..." you murmured, not answering his question. "H-How did you get out of the Farplane?"

"I can leave the Farplane only on business. I just came to check up on—"

"You're...here to see if Noa is really dead...huh?" you whispered, looking at him. When he didn't answer and looked away, your jaw locked," Dad?"

"Fai and Kurogane...they came the other day at around two in the morning..." your father's gaze transferred to the unlit Christmas tree, and was emotionless, his voice also nothing but a whisper. "I have only seen Fai cry once—Kurogane too—but what I saw... It doesn't even feel real... Fai broke down...calling for Noa and using his magic to uselessly hit the barrier of Looking Pointe...injuring himself... All this while...while Kurogane silently stood there...just...STOOD there...and let his tears... Then the pyreflies reacted...and all they saw in return...was his smiling, happy reflection against the barrier..."

"But...I can bring him back," your hands balled into fists, and you nodded to yourself in reassurance. "I... I CAN bring him back... I WILL... Nothing...nothing...nothing can—"

"[Name]," Kei cut you off, speaking softly. "...Please, listen to—"

"No!" you smiled bitterly, shaking your head as you felt your eyes begin to sting while you bored a hole into your lap, and your already clenched fists shook. "I'm responsible for this! For Noa dying... If I wasn't...Amaya...then...Zack wouldn't have been mean to me, then, Noa wouldn't have confronted him, then, nobody would have fought...and...NOBODY WOULD HAVE DIED!"