Chapter 17

The pounding of the rain awoke you. It fell harshly, sounding like a far off applause in your ears as they returned to their senses—along with your other ones—and you sat up. You hadn't changed from your uniform, and looking at the clock, you saw that it was four thirty. Sighing, you got out of bed, shuffling to take a shower.

Coming back out at the accustomed five o'clock for school, you decided on wearing a plain dark gray shirt and sweats since neither of the boys seemed to be awake yet, leaving you to rest for just a little while longer. However, when you noticed that the rain had stopped, it was too quiet, and there still wasn't a knock at the door at almost five thirty when you finished with your hair and getting your backpack ready, you curiously exited the room and went downstairs in search of the twins.

To your surprise though, the two were sitting at the kitchen table, eating a meal that seemed to be dinner. You trudged down the stairs, catching their attention and noticing yourself that Kai's bottom lip was severely busted open; his top lip scarred and making it look like he had been sliced across the lips rather than punched. Kei stood swiftly, gazing at you with concern once your feet hit the kitchen floor.

"[Name]—"

You furrowed your eyebrows," It's almost six; why didn't you guys try waking me up to get ready for school?"

Kei shook his head," It's almost six in the evening."

"What!? I slept through the day!?"

"I had to take up your shift at the café," he nodded. "We tried waking you up princess—believe me, we even picked the lock of the door to get it open—but you wouldn't wake up. You seemed too tired as well, so we didn't want to force you either."

"Are you okay?" Kai asked with a mouthful of rice as you sat at the table, Kei getting you a bowl of rice and utensils

"I think you have it worse than I do," you sighed. "But yeah, I'm fine. Did I miss anything at school?"

"Not really," he shrugged. "I got called up to the principal's because some teacher was worried about my lip but I told them it was just a baseball accident. Kei has made enemies out of Axel, Zack, and kinda Rika and Demyx because of Chiyoko too. I also think Noa is on the verge of breaking."

"Breaking?"

"He sat alone at lunch today, despite our or anyone else's invitation for him to join a table," Kei said, sitting down and giving you the items he had gotten. "By the looks of it, I think he got in an argument at home with maybe Fai or Wasurete."

Sighing, you steadied your chopsticks and took a piece of meat from the platter in the center of the table. As you ate it, it got quiet again, until Kai spoke up with his signature grin. "How about I cheer you up?"

"I'm not in the mood," Kei rolled his eyes, picking at the chicken that lay on his rice.

"I wasn't talking to YOU," the younger twin huffed. "I was talking to [Name]! She could really use it. Like you always do, you can drown your sorrows in—"

"I think it's a good idea," the elder cleared his throat, silver eyes gazing at you. "You missed school, and you haven't been outside. Fresh air will do you some good, princess."

"Where will we be going?" you looked away from your food—which you were almost done with, eating it rather quickly—and towards Kai.

He hummed," Well...I know a few guys are meeting up to see a movie in about an hour; how about we join them? I was invited anyway."

"What movie?"

"Warm Bodies."

"Isn't that out in two months?" Kei scratched the back of his head. "Or is that the Earth standard?"