Chapter 24

"I'm sorry [Name]—it's my fault," Kei groaned, his head resting on his arms which were folded and propped on the counter.

It was the Wednesday, and Kai opened the conversation for breakfast by telling you someone had taken down the video of your intoxication at the festival by hacking Rika, and having all fingers point towards you as Terra immediately targeted you as the suspect. When asked why she would, you responded by telling him what happened the previous night, causing the elder of the twins to suddenly make an outburst.

Today, you were to go to the Shinra building for the job results. Regardless of skipping school though, the letter you had overlooked said you would be back in time for a few classes—something you didn't see the first time—leaving you to unwillingly dress in your uniform. Additionally, like last time, Reno's mother was to provide you with a ride going to the train station, only now, you were to meet up with another group of people there as well.

"At least you finally admitted you like [Nickname]," Kai pointed out with a grin. "That's something to be proud of right?"

Kei sat up slightly to glare at his brother," I don't like her. I thought if I told Terra I did she'd leave me alone and that'd be that! Now she's starting on a rampage against [Name]—something we really don't need right now." Again, he dropped his head into his arms.

"I told you already Kei—it's fine," you muttered, fishing for the last pieces of your cereal that floated in your bowl of milk. "I don't even care... Okay maybe that I got slapped but—"

"But I should have thought it through!" he shook his head furiously like a small child, lips quirking into a pout as he glanced up at you from behind his lashes.

"Kai does he...I don't know...do this periodically?" you cocked an eyebrow at the teen as you giggled lightly in amusement. "He's acting like a little kid."

"I'm just as freaked out as you are, but he does this if he's super stressed," the younger of the two shrugged. "Hyung is weird—just learn to accept your kudan is...strange."

"Yah!" Kei bolted up, pointing a finger at his brother. "I'M strange? YOU'RE the one who's strange!"

"See?" he chuckled, putting your dishes in the sink along with his once you finished your milk. "Guy doesn't even have any good comebacks."

A honk outside stopped you from responding after laughing at Kei's expense, and when the doorbell rang not moments later, you slung your backpack over your shoulder and slipped on your shoes, opening the door to reveal Reno in his school uniform, grinning from ear to ear. The twins followed behind the two of you and you bid them farewell once on the sidewalk before getting into the awaiting van.

Sitting in the same spot as before, you buckled up and leaned back in your seat. Axel and his mother were currently in an argument, and as you tried ignoring the conversation when Reno was pulled into it, you noticed that the baby carrier beside you was, again, devoid of a baby that should have been in it. You were about to ask about it though, when the boys' mother finally addressed you.

"Good morning Amaya~!" she almost sang.

"Good morning," you smiled and gave her a curt bow. "Thank you for picking me up again."

"Oh it's no problem sweetheart! I'm happy to help a friend of my sons."

"Who said she was my friend?" Axel scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Who said I was talking about you?" the auburn haired woman shot back, narrowing her gaze at him as the smile on her face only widened—rather sickly.

"Here we go again," Reno muttered.

You arrived at the subway station not too long after mother and eldest son had concluded their argument. Getting your tickets from the machine, you reapeated the chain you did the last time you were here with the boys—Axel in front, Reno grabbing his shirt—only now, the younger of the two had his fingers clasped with yours tightly while maneuvering within the crowd.