Chapter 31

Ryuushin walked you to the door of your house and bid you a farewell there when you told him to leave. Jecht sped off into the darkness of the street after the ravenette disappeared within the truck, and you stood for a moment on the small porch of the house, taking in the breathtaking decorating of Christmas lights that were placed in your absence, and welcomed your return. You watched them quietly, lost in your thoughts, and jumped when the door opened, scurrying to the side of the porch.

Fai exited the house swiftly and roughly with a stoic face, marching to the black BMW parked in the driveway. Either he didn't notice you, or ignored you, you didn't know, but in his rage, a deep baby blue aura around him was flickering on and off, and into three other shades—navy blue, sky blue, and ocean blue—like electricity did around a broken circuit's wiring. It was lost as he entered the car, but you could still see it as a faint glow through the glass.

Verdot was next to come out—wearing a suit—and in his hand was a binder you noticed your name on. He didn't acknowledge you either, and proceeded to a car across the street—a tinted, black, Ford Crown Victoria—where he got in the back seat. It casually U-turned and slowly drove away into the distance, leaving you to wait a moment, and when nobody came out, to casually enter the still open door. There were voices coming from the living room, and you instinctively went there after taking off your shoes and closing the door, locking it.

Inside, Kei and Kai were sitting on the ground in dark blue pajamas each, across from the large couch where Aoi sat. To the left, on the loveseat, Hanzo, Chikage, and Toshizo were present in a formal men's kimono, varying in shades of gray, but bordered with black. When either of them spoke, they did so in Japanese, and as soon as you appeared in the threshold, you froze, knowing it was too late to back away, or go unnoticed.

"I-I'm in trouble, aren't I?" you bit your lip, lingering in place.

Aoi nodded solemnly, patting the spot next to him," [Name]-chan, we need to have a talk."

"What...is it?" you asked, cautiously and stiffly sitting yourself down.

"Verdot and Fai came over about an hour or so ago, looking for you," Kei answered, pushing an envelope towards you. "This is a card from Shinra that accordingly puts in your pay based on what you have done; it could not be given to you earlier because, as someone who is underage, they were to verify you had a guardian knowing your occupation and Verdot stated there was a problem with that because...Fai has suddenly decided to disown you—he's no longer your legal guardian."

"Why?"  Your jaw dropped in offense. "What did I do?"

"You were there when his brother died," Chikage said. "He feels you're somehow responsible for it, and now, since your backstory was tarnished because of us, he distrusts you."

"My sincerest apologies for that," Hanzo bowed his head.

"None of that is your fault," Aoi held a hand up to stop him, and Toshizo and Chikage from doing the same," it's [Name]'s."

"Wait, how?" you turned to him with the shocked expression lingering on your face.

"I told you to keep a certain backstory," the ravenette man narrowed his eyes. "You were to be a spell caster who just found about their powers, and prefers not to say what world she is from."

"But I kept it!"

"You kept it TO AN EXTENT," he emphasized, slightly raising his voice. "For some reason, you decided to go along with people saying that you were from Earth. Then, when finding out you were princess of Edo, it was somehow changed that you grew up in Earth, but was born in Edo. If your back story is not straight, you're going to be getting yourself in trouble bigger than this! To make matters worse is your fighting skills and powers you have displayed—they're too strong for a newbie spell caster, and not the type of skill that would come from a princess."