Chapter 26

"Oh my!" Rennoshin gasped as you, Goemon, and Souji entered the medical ward—Vergil on Goemon's back with Ven on Souji's. "What happened to them?"

"You know, teenage boy stuff," Goemon shrugged as the two dropped the boys on the wooden ground with the blonde doctor positioning them into a futon. "The most we can do is help them get laid later."

"Such language in front of the princess? How awful," a voice murmured.

You turned to see a violet eyed brunette with his hair short in front, tied in a thin, yet long ponytail in back, approaching with a tray in his hands holding various herbs in small bowls. He wore a deep green kimono, lined with black, and he kneeled to you formally when close enough.

"Yamazaki, Susumu—trained in shinobi technique; medic and commander of Shinsengumi Watch. If it's not too much to ask, I prefer you refer to me by surname."

"It's a pleasure," you bowed back to him, nodding.

"I recommend you find something [Name]-hime is to change into that looks...common," Rennoshin chuckled lightly, kneeling down beside Ven. "Breakfast time is but moments away, and I'm sure Hijitaka and Hattori won't be too happy with the adjustments you made to the princess' clothing—regardless if anyone thinks it looks good on her or not."

"They did obviously," Souji jerked his head to the unconscious boys.

"But then again, they aren't men," Goemon noted. "They wouldn't know what to do with her even if they had an instruction manual."

Vergil's body suddenly twitched, and Yamazaki pulled his hand away from dabbing the blood on his face, glancing at you. "[Name]-hime, is he allergic to mint?"

You thought a moment before answering. "He's not really allergic to it, but I remember when we were kids he really hates it—I'm not sure about now though."

"Hm...I see; it's no wonder his subconscious is acting up."

"Goemon, Souji, go now and escort the princess—the three of you are bound to have a long day ahead."

Your trio exited the medical ward and you picked up Souji's kitten, Marshmallow, who was waiting by the door, and began petting him as you followed the boys, chatting with them casually. The route to wherever you were going was complex, and it stretched along the outside halls deep in the compound, where, there was nothing but gardening on either side of the wooden pathway, along with buildings here and there, but mostly, in the distance, meters away.

You additionally noticed the direction you were going was bereft of any people—it was completely quiet here, and you guessed it was to avoid anyone else seeing your...interesting outfit. Finally turning into a room that was at the corner of the pathway, the boys entered, and you saw from the narrow gap between the building and tall growings of bamboo that it was directly on the other side of the buildings that surrounded main courtyard. The garden square here that separated the paths were abundant in flowers, and had a well heading it to your right.

Inside, the room was tatami floored with a wood planked ceiling. The walls were smoothed out white, and upon the opposite wall of where you entered, was a patterned sliding door. A futon with a white comforter and pillows over it was against the wall to your right, and to your left in the corner where the outside door was, there sat a low, black table. In the corner diagonal of it, a small dresser of matching color sat as well. The room itself was a little wide, but still narrow in length from this door to the neighboring one.

You stepped in, eyes looking around the simple room curiously," I...think I remember this place... It...it feels like I've been here before..."

"Nostalgic huh? This was your old room when you stayed with us actually," Souji said, taking the kitten from your arms. "You might remember Heisuke's snoring next door—it's like listening to a parrot choking in its sleep."