Chapter 48

Tuesday night until Wednesday at dawn, you were on the shrine grounds that was owned by Yunalesca's father, Braska. To say the least, time seemed to pass quickly, and before you knew it, it was your queue to go home—skipping another day of school for the time being. Over the course of the night, you were split into teams of three, and designated to an area of the shrine, in which you would have a full view of—in this instance, you were with Yunalesca and Namine, by the fortune house. There was solid chatter among the three of you, and as much as you hated to admit, Yunalesca wasn't as bad as she seemed, just a bit irritated by most things—a small concept you grew to understand yourself. In addition, you were able to witness a twinge of her power, and was surprised to find her able to dispel magic.

By the end of the night, Yunalesca had removed clusters of dark matter that inhibited corners of the shrine, but not much else. The boys who had also split, appeared to find nothing; and even Vincent in his areas of stopped time, could not locate a presence. With this in mind, you all agreed to meet another day, yet not consecutively, deciding that it would only alert whoever was indeed behind the threat that Yunalesca felt.

With that plan, you spent the majority of your Wednesday at the ShinRa building, after waking up in the late morning hours. You gave yourself a training regime similar to what you had undergone during your prime days: sneaking, attacking, counterattacking, and lethal approaches—all of which included opponents who were computer generated, thanks to Reno's access to the training room.

In the evening, everyone was set on meeting at Namine and Prompto's house—their parents set to have dinner somewhere downtown, giving you privacy. Yet, a part of you seemed aware that their parents just didn't seem to be around much anyway, but, you didn't question it, and instead met at the allotted time, greeted with a table of various snacks in the livingroom upon entry. Already comfortable in your ensemble of sweats, you plopped down on the couch, laying across it, tired from training earlier. Namine—who was the only one at home aside from Prompto, Noel and Vincent—laughed at this. Kei came in from the door leading to the backyard she spoke, his clothes in tune with yours.

"If things were different [Name], I'm scared you might ended up lazier than Prompto."

You pouted, rolling over to face her as you lay on your stomach," I'm doing my best Namine, I'm just so tired after today."

"Training as you used to after such a long time of not will have a toll on your body [Name]," Vincent murmured, his back against the coffee table the snacks were laid upon as he channel surfed on the T.V. "I'm more surprised you're able to condition yourself so quickly."

Smiling faintly, you rested your head on the armrest, reaching for a Pocky stick closest to you," I'm actually really tired... Reno tried some awakening exercises on me too... I'm feeling drained, and I can't explain in what way."

"Ah, you used too much aether," Namine nodded, sitting on the floor near you, against the other sofa. "Then, [Name], what is your power?" She pursed her lips, facing you," We know very little aside from the legend of the Silver Dragon."

Unsure how to answer, you looked over to Kei who smiled in return, speaking as he leaned against the wall near the split between the kitchen and the living room," [Name]-hime's powers are similar to that of a spellcaster. Much of the aether we have seen her use is done through her casting or chanting of things."

"That doesn't make sense!" Prompto's voice called faintly down the hall leading to the entrance area of the house. "If she's a caster, why can she also copy certain abilities like sending? I thought those were for people with holy affinity!"

Namine smiled," We have a telepathic link at the moment, sorry."

Humming for a moment Kei made a face, speaking in thought," She essentially can copy, yet only one at a time—different from mimics like Vaan who's weaponry skills can have him multi-wield at once, for example. Her aether capabilities using this skill cause her to exhaust quickly, yet the magnitude of said power can increase, which is reasoning of why she gets tired rather quickly after using any type of power. In short, any mage can mimic to a degree, yet Hime's powers allow her to...overexert herself for the sake of buffing the spell."