Chapter 37

Your eyes flew open and you quickly sat up straight, looking at your surroundings. With a still fast paced heartbeat, you tried to control your heavy breathing and found your eyes stinging with tears, entire body covered in a cold sweat. You sighed in relief, finding that you were in your room at the Strife household, but didn't notice the group of people by the door. Cloud was by your side, and by the way he was positioned, it looked as if he had been holding you.

"You're awake, [Name]!" Roxas sighed in relief, rushing to sit beside Cloud.

"It was only a dream," you mumbled.

"That must have been some dream," Cloud looked at you with worry," we've been trying to wake you up."

"I..." you were at a loss for words, shaking your head. Then, your head snapped up, looking at Roxas. "Y-You called me [Name]!"

"That is your name, you know." Tifa stepped into the room and sat on your other side, pressing her palm to your forehead," Your temperature seems to be fine. You're really sweaty though," she frowned. "Maybe you should go take a shower to cool off."

"N-No you don't understand!" you shook your head furiously. "You all forgot me!"

"Forgot you?" Cloud raised an eyebrow.

"[Name] we would never--"

"But you did!" you nodded hastily, sitting up on your own. "A-And this room: it was destroyed with Hollow Bastion remember!? This is your old house, and this moment... This moment is when I woke up from--"

"[Name], are you feeling okay?" Ven frowned, stepping into the room. "You're acting weird."

"Please!" you almost shrieked. "You have to listen to me I--"

"[Name], look," Tifa took you by the shoulders firmly, gazing at you. "You're fine; you're just dreaming and--"

"I'm dreaming..." you laughed bitterly, shaking as you removed Tifa's hold on you. "I'm just dreaming...still dreaming...a nostalgic dream..."

"Are you...?" Ven began, then shut his mouth, confused.

Sniffling, you smiled up at Tifa," Let me dream a little longer, please?"

"What...do you mean?"

***

"Breaking news this morning, where, at Twilight Town Central's Police station, a press conference has just commenced, led by Chief Vayne Solidor. Reported murderer of the four dismantled bodies in the world's eastern-central district, and apparent--yet unconfirmed--Princess of Edo, Amaya Nochi, has been officially reported missing as of last night, December 21st, when the police report was filed. We now are live at the conference."

Amongst the flashing cameras and hoard of media reporters, Vayne took to the wooden podium in front of him and adjusted the microphone. He was expressionless, and even a bit annoyed, but nevertheless, he had his duties. A silent sigh passed his lips, then he spoke.

"As of nine thirty eight last night, Amaya Nochi was reported missing after a few hours' search for her. In those that followed, our detectives were examining the school where she was last seen, and have had bloodhounds trace her scent to a part of the institution where there was no activity at all. Here, even under the rain, an examination took place, and thanks to the technology of ShinRa, we were able to rule out her disappearance being a runaway."

"This comes only forty eight hours after her arrest and release on the same day," a reporter called. "What do you have to say on that?"

"My arrest on her was on fault of myself, as I acted irrationally, especially with myself not being the lead on the case of the disfigured bodies. In addition, our findings have found traces of Nochi's blood between the cracks of the pavement and the grass near it; distilled from the rain, it nevertheless matches hers."