Chapter 38

"What? Are...Are you sure?" Ryuushin's hands tightened around yours.

You nodded," It's all black... N-No matter where I look it's all black!"

"I... I'll get Aoi!" Kai suddenly said amongst the silence, his footsteps rushing out of the room, the door creaking open and closed.

"Maybe this is just a reaction to the medicine," Vincent said. "Your body never got used to morphine or anything like that has it?" You shook your head.

"But then again, morphine shouldn't have done this to her in the first place," Namine murmured. "It must have been something else."

A knock came to the door, and you closed your mouth from speaking. Shoes made low clicks upon the tile floor, and you felt Ryuushin put your hand down softly. The scuffle of feet leaving the room was followed by the door closing again, and the presence that stayed with you amounted to two: one now sitting on the chair, and the other, checking the machines upon your left which you were hooked to.

"Ami-chan, are you alright?" Aoi's voice came softly, in Japanese, and you reached out for him: he taking your hand in his. "We're glad you finally woke up—you've been out for a few days since you were rescued by Touya and Reks, about two, almost three."

"What...day is this?"

"It's December 30th."

"Aoi I... I can't see anything..."

"Kai told me," he sighed. "Don't worry, Balthier is here, I'm sure he can explain everything."

"Alright Amaya," Balthier's voice spoke in a tired tone, which he pushed in trying to sound refreshed. "Your vitals are fine. When you came in, you had minor cuts, but mostly bruising and a few thin gashes. As of now, your midsection is sore and the core area of your bruising, therefore, it might take about a week or so for it to heal, or for you to function without any pain, assuming you take the medications I prescribe to you. However, seem to you have a high pain tolerance, and are healing at a rather...quick rate, therefore, I don't think you would need the medicine as much as others would. However, I'm surprised you didn't come in to the hospital earlier, aside from the latest incident."

"...What do you mean?" you asked worriedly, eyebrows furrowing.

"A few weeks ago, when we went to Fortuna Castle on an afterschool activity, you were in the hospital correct, upon return?"

You nodded slowly," I remember that; you took my X-rays and said you would get back to me when my results from all the testing came back."

"Correct; and they did. Your result showed you had a concussion, and since Kei's number was the only form of contact upon the papers I left behind, I informed him to inform you of this. Unfortunately, I don't think he told you."

"Of course he didn't!" you gasped.

"Well, in any case, an untreated concussion leads to brain damage, functional problems, headaches, and memory loss—all of those as basic effects. Have you had any?"

You nodded slowly," M-Memory loss..."

"I thought so," he let out a soft breath. "Well, we treated it with a herbal medicine transfused with mako, as prescribed by the doctor of your home world who was kind enough to lead the procedure. Though I am unfamiliar with the process and apologize for the lack in details, it took care of the concussion, and you have no severe damage, however, I suspect that you are blind, correct?"

"How did you—"

"Blunt force head trauma is what I was informed you had. According to the police report, there was blood on a bamboo stick they hit you with, and from the x-ray scans we did after your surgery, it appears that the damage hit the occipital cortex of your brain. This has resulted in your blindness. Now, your options upon this are, you leave here in hopes for it to come back—which is a less than twenty percent chance in success—or, you allow another surgery upon your eyes for reparation. Your second option will leave you with bandages only for a few days, as we have an experimental surgery of the sort that involves either mako or herbal tonic fusion. They have proven very useful despite their...strange sounding names."