Chapter 36

Stab, retract the hand, pivot, kick, cut, cut, and stance; jump, slash down, circular cut, swing the arm, and stance; block, low cut, twist of the wrist, cut to the side, and stance.

The katana cut through the air again, but it was not a straight, distinct action. Again, it made a whisper as it was guided through, and was only slightly better than the previous move, just as all the others. An exasperated sigh escaped your lips, and your hand tightened around the katana, dropping to your side as you glared at the ground, huffing.

It was just after dark, and already the next day: Friday. The winter showcase begun a while ago, about an hour, and you could hear the music coming from the inside of the auditorium as you stood in the courtyard area behind it, unilluminated by the Christmas lights in the short distance away. You had participated in two of the few performances you had--which were so far back-up acts--and you were currently taking time for yourself, which, was peaceful, until you had let your mind wander off.

*Flash*

"Looks like you better be ready to die tomorrow then."

*Flash*

You plopped down onto the grass beneath you, the katana resting on your lap. Under the moonless sky, you leaned back, recalling that during final practice, Chiyoko was acting just as always: haughtily, freely, and of course, towards you, it was the normal you-stole-my-life-I-hate-you-go-die aura. In short, it was as if yesterday never happened, and even though, the twins, as well as your brother, said it was not anything to worry about when you told them about it, you could not help but shake off the feeling that they were wrong, and, Ryuushin agreed with you.

*Flash*

"That's that," you said, fixing your shirt for the first performance. "They said I shouldn't worry but..." 

"But you are, and I would be too," the ravenette finished, seating himself in front of the makeup mirror; you sat beside him lazily. "In fact, I am, for you." 

"Thanks... I think..." 

"Look, I never really had any feelings for Chiyoko myself--I pitied her when I used her in my...act, a while back," he said reluctantly, with a hint of shame. "However, I DO know just as any former person of our status would be, she can primarily hate you for ruining the syndicate, and then, whatever else jealousy she said she did when you first fought her. Knowing all of that, she's capable of doing whatever she wanted... Especially since she might have ties to Hojo and Hollander, and the few guards I had let out to protect them." 

"What would she do to me then?" 

"What WOULD she do?" Ryuushin hummed a moment as he tied his hair into a short ponytail. "Well, I'd say she likes...grand gestures." 

You raised an eyebrow," What, is she going to serenade me to death?" 

He chuckled lightly, turning to you. "I mean, she likes anything big; an example would be when I first attacked you during that...that showcase..." His face fell, and he looked down. 

"H-Hey!" you forced a smile, playfully pushing him. "Look, I'm not even THAT worried about anything; I mean it's Chiyoko we're talking about here! She's never done anything to me herself! It's always been someone else, you know? I'll be fine; don't underestimate me now Ryuu!" 

Ryuushin smiled, nodding," You're right. Besides, it's not only you. Vincent, Prompto, Namine, the twins and I: we're all here. And...you told Wasurete too right? He'll help I bet. If Chiyoko tries anything, come to us. She has her army, and you've got yours." 

"Right!"

*Flash*

'I'm still so worried...so alert... Am I just nervous for the other performances?'