Chapter 53

"So Noel," Serah swallowed her food, taking a sip of water before she continued. "How long have you two been dating?"

The brunette sighed, moving the cup away from his lips," Serah, I told you, there's nothing going on."

"I don't know," she sang, humming for a moment as she smirked, eyes shifting towards you," I've never seen you hold anyone's hand like that before."

The clinking of utensils on plates was a standard noise as you ate; it was used to fill the silence in between conversation as you sat beneath the stairs at the dining table. While it was not tense, it felt strange somehow—a full course meal, with a full 'family' it seemed—or rather, normal, to be eating together. Serah and Snow were present, as were Vanille and Fang, with Lightning unable to attend due to her current job as a military officer on their home world; Hope also seemed to live with this group as you were told, and took the basement, while the current four had upstairs rooms. The atmosphere was different than what you remembered of the syndicate dinners; this was more, well, calming to say the least.

Serah had of course, outdone herself with more than you expected: a bowl of miso ramen, a shared serving of fried chicken and a small sushi handroll for each person. The toppings on your ramen varied as you said you liked them, and the broth was surprisingly rich, perfectly seasoned, and even more so with the added items. It had been a while since you had such a nicely prepared home cooked dinner, and the length Serah made to make it to suit your—as she said, 'Edo palette'—was a sweet touch, especially after she noted on you possibly being homesick.

You kept your seat at the dining table, by the tree, with Noel, as Vanille and Fang did the dishes. Snow kept watch over you two—the blonde chatting amiably with Noel, even trying to get you into the conversation as well here and there, which you found surprising, and assumed under Serah's orders of some sort. Not a long while passed however, and slowly the three in the kitchen popped back in at the table. Serah brought out small, circular cookies in multiple colors with a cream sandwiched in the middle of them; Vanille followed after with small cups of coffee for each person, Fang only retaking her seat once more.

"They're called macaroons," Vanille stated, letting out a suppressed giggle as she grabbed one for herself, watching your hesitant hand do the same. "They're very soft, and the inside cream in these are chocolate or vanilla. This one is vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, sea salt, green tea—"

"She'll figure it out, Vanille," Fang laughed awkwardly, pulling away the girl's hand—she nodding in return, unsatisfied, and pouting. The brunette then turned her eyes towards you," I believe you owe us an explanation...?" she trailed off, unsure what to call you.

"[Name]," you answered, eyes meeting hers. "My name is [Name]."

"Aha!" Snow nodded, grinning almost from ear to ear as he crossed his arms. "And that's your name right, like real name?" You nodded. "Fantastic, so, Amaya is a fake name because you're princess of Edo?" You shook your head, and he stopped smiling, uncrossing his arms as they fell into his lap limply . "Then...?"

"To...be straightforward," you spoke slowly," I...am the [Name] you met, from last year."

Lips pursed, the blonde man nodded again, this time in disbelief as he took the cup in both hands," Okay, well, that's something—something indeed."

Serah smiled warmly, nodding," I guess your proof then..." her eyes shifted to Noel.

"Is me, actually," Fang interrupted, smirking as she leaned forward on the table, her elbows propped up. "So then our little brawl was for me to keep my mouth shut huh? Glad I stopped you then, otherwise I'd be the crazy one."

"You still are," Snow muttered, rolling his eyes as he got a look from her.

"I'm a little more concerned actually, nobody is in any real shock," Noel raised an eyebrow, gesturing to you. "I—none of you remember her, and, no questions? No welcome back?"