[ 028 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ all that remains; part four ]

━━━━━━━━━━

The next morning was a sunny, but cold one. Kassidy, Clementine, Pete, and Nick were currently heading down to the river to check out the fish traps. Kass thought Oliver wanted to come, but Nick told him he couldn't.

Kass looked at Clem with guilty eyes as the younger girl held her bandaged arm, "How does it feel?"

Clem smiled softly, looking up at her friend, "A lot better than it was last night."

Kass nodded curtly, looking around. "Great. I just hope we get going before our conflict with half of this damn group gets outta hand."

"I like 'em," Clem paused. "Well, most of them anyway."

Shifting in front of her, Pete looked back at them, rifle in his arms. "I heard you girls got an earful from Rebecca last night. Once she gets going there's no bringing her back."

Kassidy scoffed, crossing her arms, "What's her problem anyway? Aside from us."

"Well, she's got a lot on her mind. Bringing a baby into a world like this?" Somewhat disappointed in the answer Kass shrugged, stepping on a small door that replaced a bridge.

"How much further are these fish traps?" Clem asked, catching up to stand next to Pete.

"It ain't much further." The other girl goes to Pete's left side, seeing Clementine stare at is rifle. "Has anyone taught you two to shoot? By taught, I mean properly."

"When this whole thing started, my dad taught me," Kass remembered, smiling at the faint memories of Kenny teaching her.

"Is that so? You got to show me," Pete said, looking at Kassidy with a smile. "But have you shot one of these?"

Clem smiled, shaking her head, "Not a rifle," she responded honestly.

"Makes sense. Less kick. This thing would probably knock you on your ass." Kass smiled at his words, a small chuckle following.

The trio continued to walk down the path to the river, walking through a fence and over a small creek.

Pete spoke again, "Nick was about Clem's age the first time I took him hunting. We were in our deer stand and after a while, this beautiful ten-point buck comes out of the trees." He held his rifle up, looking through the nozzle, "He lines up the shot as I taught him and...He starts sulking about not wanting to shoot the thing. Saying "Please Uncle Pete, Don't make me shoot it! I don't wanna!"."

"What a baby," Clem giggled.

"Hey!" Kass looked over at said boy running toward them. "Why didn't you wait?" He asked, stopping in front of the three.

"You want us to stand around while you piss on a tree?" Pete quipped. "You know where the river is, boy. Anyways," he continued the story as he walked, the girls by his side. "So I grab the gun out of his hands before this big buck runs off when BANG! The gun fires. Boy nearly shot me and of course the buck got away."

Kass looked back at Nick who seemed annoyed and embarrassed, "What're you goin' and telling them this shit for?"

"Cause you almost blew her face off yesterday," he pointed at Clementine.

Nick stepped up to Pete, "Why are you always giving me a hard time?"

"Because you're always giving everyone else a hard time."