[ 043 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ amid the ruins; part four ]

━━━━━━━━━━

It was late at night when Kassidy heard the baby started making noises. She slowly got up and saw Rebecca holding her son in her hands, with Oliver cooing at the baby. They looked over and saw that Kassidy was awake. "Hey, Kass," she greeted. 

"Hey. How's he doing?" she asked her, gesturing toward the baby. 

"He's perfect," Rebecca replied as she looked down at her son while Kassidy stood up and walked over to her.

"Who's a perfect little man? Who's the most perfect little man in the whole world?" Rebecca cooed at her son. "You are! That's right. You are."

"What're we gonna do now? We can't stay here, can we?" Kass asked her. 

"I've gotta rest," Rebecca replied. 

"It's getting colder." 

"Kassidy, I can't think about that right now. We'll think of something, just not this second," Rebecca said and then began to cough. 

"Becca!" Oliver exclaimed in a small voice.

Kassidy jumped and gave her a worried look, but she shook her head. "I'm fine, I'm fine...I just wish I could get warm..." she said and at that moment Mike got up.

"Kassidy... Why don't you give her that coat we found?" he questioned.

Kassidy unsurely pulled the coat out and gave it to her. 

"Sorry, y'know, about the color," Mike apologized to Rebecca as he laid down again. 

"You really think I care about that?" She asked him, annoyed. Then she turned to Kass and asked, "Do you...wanna hold him?" she held out her son to her. 

"I don't know if I remember how," she muttered with an embarrassed flush. 

"It's easy. Just keep him close and support his head," she guided, handing her the baby and Kassidy did as she instructed.

Kassidy smiled down at the baby as he began to get fussy. "Shhh, shhhhh. There you go," she muttered to him, comfortingly, and he almost immediately calmed down. 

"You're a natural," Rebecca said as they heard footsteps and saw that Clem was awake. "You wanna hold him too, Clem?" Rebecca asked her.

"Uh, sure," Clem said as she was handed the baby. 

"Hold his head," Kassidy whispered to her as Clem held the baby, smiling.

Oliver gushed at that. It was adorable.

"Look at you two. Like big sisters," Kenny said as he walked over to the three of them as Rebecca began to cough again. 

"Here, let me take him. You all need to rest," Kenny said as Clem handed him the baby. "Especially you," Kenny said as he looked down at Rebecca.

"When's the last time you slept, Kenny?" Rebecca asked him. 

"Ah, about two years ago. I'm fine," Kenny replied, looking down at the baby. "Plus somebody's gotta watch you while Mama gets her beauty sleep." He sniffed the newborn baby smell, sighing, "You never forget that smell." 

Rebecca smiled softly up at him, closing her eyes to try and fall sleep.

Oliver snuggled up to Rebecca's side and she smiled down at the teen.

Kenny walked away as Kass and Clem went outside, noticing Jane looking through the shutter next to the room where they all resided. Kassidy raised an eyebrow at her when she turned to see them standing there. "Aw, shit," she muttered.