[ 032 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ a house divided; part four ]

━━━━━━━━━━

They finally reached the ski resort about an hour later. They stayed low and quiet, keeping an eye out for walkers or people.

"Well?" Rebecca panted, "What the hell are we waiting for?"

Carlos sighed, "We have to be careful. We need to make sure no one's here. I doubt they'll be friendly."

Rebecca huffed, "Careful? We've been on the road for five days. My back is done bein' careful."

"Doesn't look like anybody's home." Looking through a window Alvin turned to the door that was nailed on and tried to tear it down, failing. "Damnit, nailed on tight. I'll check 'round front."

Luke sighed, "Well, be on your best guard. Whoever owned this place may still be around."

Carlos looked around, "I'll go with you, Ollie, wanna go?" He turned to his daughter, "Sarah, stay in Luke's sight."

Sarah nodded at his order as he, Alvin, and Ollie walked around back.

Kass was standing at the edge of the deck outside, trying to see a little further into the thick trees as Clem stood beside her.

"Well, it'd be good to know if anybody's back there." Luke walked up to them. "Could probably get a better view from up top." Kass looked at were the man's eyes were, staring at the Ski Lift. "You'd both have an easier time gettin' up there. You feel like taking a look?"

They both looked up at Luke with a deadpan look. Kassidy cocked her brow, "Do we look like monkeys to you?"

Luke shook his head and laughed, "No! It'll be just like climbing a treehouse. You know, just a really tall treehouse. Made of steel."

"I had a treehouse once," Clem said.

Luke grinned, "Well, there you go!"

"...I hated it.

"Oh..."

They walked over to the lift and looked up it.

"Just to let you know, I hate heights," Kassidy said. She had hated anything that was the least bit high up ever since falling from the balcony in Savannah. Every time she was high up she'd think back to Ben, her falling, him getting impaled, and losing her father.

"You'll be fine. Just take it nice and slow. If you fall, I'll catch you. Probably," he said. 

"Luke!" Kass exclaimed, smacking his arm. "That's reassuring," she quipped sarcastically.

Luke sighed, "Just have a good grip on it and go slow. And don't look down."

They began climbing the ladder and Kassidy kept on whispering to herself to keep moving and not look down. She slipped a little and almost fell, "Ah!"

"Don't worry! You're doing fine!" Luke yelled up at her.

"No, I can't do this! I need to get off! I can't end up like Ben!"

Luke was confused as to who Ben was.

Clementine frowned. That's how Ben died? Falling? "Kassidy, look at me!"

Kassidy looked up at her friend with panic and worry in her eyes.

"Climb up to me slowly and just look at me."

Kassidy slowly climbed up the ladder, while looking at Clementine. She managed to get up to the top and took a breath, "Okay... Okay... I did it!"

"You guys see anything up there?" Luke asked.