[ 036 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ in harms way; part three ]

━━━━━━━━━━

They walked up to the roof to see the small greenhouse that Reggie had mentioned the night before. They stepped into the greenhouse and saw what looked like some herbs and other things for cooking.

Tavia looked down at the girls, "Don't touch anything yet. Reggie will be up to help you with your job."

She closed the door and left them alone in the greenhouse again when they heard someone crying around the corner. They turned it and saw Sarah curled up in a ball, still crying. Ollie was quiet and sitting beside her.

They made their way over to them and Clem crouched down to Sarah's level, "You okay, Sarah?"

She didn't respond, only continued to cry.

"Sarah, Ollie?" they questioned.

Sarah looked up at Clem and wiped away a tear, "My...my dad has never hit me before... Even if I was really bad."

"Carver was the one that hit you, not your dad."

Sarah looked up at Clem, confused by what she said.

The younger girl sighed softly, "I know it sounds weird, but your dad never wanted to hit you, Sarah. Carver made him do it. He's the bad guy."

Sarah nodded, "Carver hit me super hard then. Cause it still hurts like crazy."

"Yeah, I know that feeling..." Kassidy shuddered.

Ollie shook his head. "Least this didn't happen to ya," he gestured to his scarred face.

So that's how it happened.

Sarah looked at him then back at the two girls, sighing, "I just don't understand why people are so mean! When I get like really mad, I don't wanna hurt anyone!"

Kassidy shrugged softly, "The world has changed Sarah. So have other people. Whether we like it or not, we're stuck in it now and we can't get out of it."

Just then, Reggie came in with Troy.

"Don't go fucking up now, you hear?"

Reggie nodded, "Got it."

Troy turned to the group of kids, "Reggie's in charge here. Make sure you listen this time, got it?"

They shooed him off with a curt nod and he left them with Reggie.

"Okay, ladies," Reggie started. Ollie cleared his throat. "And gentleman...The camp is counting on us so we need to do a good job here. Follow me."

They followed him over to a table as he picked up some sheers. They did the same. Clem glanced to the side and saw Sarah just staring at hers.

"Okay, what we're doing is really easy. All you have to do is cut down these berries and put them in this basket. While your at it, cut down the dead ones so we can use them for burning. Got it?" Reggie explained.

They nodded at his instructions and went to their respective places. Reggie walked with Clem to her work area.

"Hey, are your friends gonna be okay? I mean, what Carver made Carlos do was straight fucked up! Oliver is still traumatized from..." he trailed off then cleared his throat, "That time." He continued, "As for Kassidy, I don't know. She's got quite the temper from what I've seen. It's like there's something inside that kid that's about to burst and, well, that's never good. She kinda scares me, honestly."