[ 040 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ amid the ruins; part two ]

━━━━━━━━━━

They'd been walking down the trail for a few minutes in silence. Oliver looked over at Kassidy, who had a serious expression on her face.

"Look, I'm gonna be honest with you three," Jane started, "I was just looking for an excuse to get out of there. And...you should know that finding the rest of your friends, that's a big shot in the dark."

Clem shook her head, furrowing her brows, "I don't know about that, Jane. We hardly even looked."

"Plus, even if we don't find them, I'm sure Luke, Nick, and Sarah know the way to the sight," Kassidy added.

"There's no if we don't. We will," Ollie assured with a frown.

Jane furrowed her brows, "I guess that's true, but I wanted to talk to you, away from the rest of them. You three would've have made it this far if you weren't smart."

Ollie playfully scoffed, "Oh no, Clem and I are the smart ones. She's the dumb one."

"Hey!" Kassidy defended with a laugh.

Oliver grinned. Great, he got her to laugh her beautiful laugh. Mission accomplished.

"Okay, but still, I've gotta warn you." They stopped and Jane looked back at them. "That group, is starting to break. I've seen it before. If I were you, I would've left a while ago," she walked down the trail and Kass gave her a look.

"I know you know what I'm saying. You don't wanna be around when they start to turn on each other. Turn on you!"

Clem shook her head, "These are good people. People that me and Kassidy care about. We can't just up and leave them!"

"Okay, that's my group there, my family," Oliver scoffed.

Kassidy scoffed as well, "The fuck? 'turn on each other' Dad may be acting a little...out of hand... But he would never turn on me or Clementine."

Jane frowned, "And that's why he's a liability to the group. With what he's going through. And with Rebecca's, 'situation' is not making things any better back there. You put broken people together, all their gonna do is make bad decisions. But, I'll be honest, I like some of the people in your group, but groups fall apart. People will die."

"She's pregnant, what the fuck is wrong with you?" Ollie snapped at her.

They stopped by an abandoned car and Jane looked inside.

"That's not gonna happen to this group," Kassidy said.

"I'm not saying that it will happen to this group. I'm saying it MIGHT happen. I'm just trying to give you the right tools on trying to make it out here." Jane looked at Clem's jacket. "Like your jacket. Sure, it's warm, but a walker will bite right through the fabric. Wear a leather one like mine."

"That's pretty hard to find," Ollie told her with a laugh.

Kassidy walked a bit down the trail before she stopped, seeming to notice something, "There's a trailer park up ahead."

Jane nodded, "Good eye, kid. Come on."

They ran up to the trailer park and came across a boarded-up gate and two dead bodies at the front.

Jane went up to them and looked back, "These might have some good loot on them."

Kassidy laughed, "Why bother? Walkers never have anything good on them."