[ 048 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ no going back; part five ]

━━━━━━━━━━

Kassidy woke up to hearing Mike talking to Arvo after the well-deserved ass beating he had gotten from Kenny.

"You're up," Clem spoke up, looking over at her.

Kass looked up at the bench and saw her sitting there and eating a can of chili. The older girl stood up and sat next to her.

"Kenny's out back, trying to fix a truck he found," Clem said and handed her the can, "Here, eat the rest."

"What about you?"

"No thanks, I'm good for a while," she answered.

Kass began eating the food. They looked over at Mike, who got up and walked away from the beaten Arvo. She glared at the Russian.

After moments of silence, Kassidy finally spoke up, "Luke, he..." she put her hands on her face before pulling out Luke's machete from the holster, looking at it solemnly. "He told me to hold onto this for him. That's a promise I'll keep until the day I die."

"Luke was a good guy. He saved me out in the woods when I got bit by that dog," Clem murmured.

"We all liked him. At least he's up there now with Nick, Pete, Rebecca, Alvin, Carlos, and Sarah..."

Clem put her hand on Kassidy's shoulder.

Kass began looking around as she asked, "Where's Ollie?"

Clem frowned, "He's been crying ever since he woke up... Won't stop mumbling about his family being gone... I'd talk to him, but... He won't talk to anybody. He's really sad... Maybe you can help him."

Just as Kass was about to reply, Kenny and Jane walked in. "You kids feeling okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, we're fine."

"I mean, my ass feels like it's about to fall off from the cold, but I'll live," Kass quipped.

Kenny chuckled, "Yeah, it's been one hell of a day. If you two are feeling up to it, I could use one of you's some help with this truck."

"Just...give me a minute," Kass replied, and he frowned. 

"I'll wait for ya out back."

Kass looked next to her and saw AJ was bundled up and inside a box, acting as crib. "I'll watch him. And I'll send Clem out there when he's finished eating," Jane said. 

Kass went over to the fireplace and grabbed her jacket, putting it on. 

"Kassidy. Just...be careful," Jane warned, and she only nodded at her.

Kass ignored her, walking to the door before stopping at the sad sight of Ollie. "Ollie?" she asked, and he just barely looked up at her with teary eyes.

"He's gone." She heard him cry before she frowned and wrapped him in a bear hug, kissing his forehead, muttering, "I know, I know. It's gonna be okay, Ollie. I promise. You have me, and I swear on my life that I'm not ever going to leave you, okay?" She pulled her lips away from his forehead and held his shoulders.

He opened his eyes and stared at her with tears, "Promise?" he questioned.

She stuck her pinkie out and wrapped it around his, "Promise."

"O-okay... And I... Won't ever leave you," he promised back.

Kasz smiled softly and stood up. "I'll be back," she promised, then headed outside to the back.