[ 022 ]

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

[ no time left; part three ]

━━━━━━━━━━

Since it was Omid who got the hole through the wall, he crawled through it first. "No walkers," he declared. "Things are looking up."

The rest of them followed him through, still keeping quiet.

"This seems pretty sealed off," Christa said before she looked at the bed. "Well..."

Two bodies lay there, holding hands. They weren't walkers, they seemed to have shot themselves before they could become them, blood splattered on the wall.

"Smart," Lee said. "Think of all the people we've seen go. They got to do it their own way. Together."

"Don't you say that," Kenny quickly said. "You stick it out as long as you have to, do anything you can. I could've done more."

"You did all you could."

"No, Lee. I could've been a better husband...A better father... Could've been a better friend. I'm going to try. So let's figure out a way out of here, get that little girl."

Kassidy hugged her dad and whispered, "Remember. You still have me."

"Let's see if we can find anything useful in here before we go. Lee, Kass. See if you can find us a way out," Christa suggested as she started looking through drawers.

Kassidy saw a way out, but decided to talk with Ben first. "Hey, Ben," she smiled at him and he thoughtfully looked over at her.

"You know... You're confusing," he admitted.

"Me? I'm the confusing one? You've got this backward," Kass deflected, grinning.

"Well, sometimes you act all sweet and then there are other times where... You're 'buddy-buddy' friendly. You back off...? I guess," Ben shrugged.

Kassidy only laughed, "You're the one who's always fine one minute and looking at me guiltily the next. You even asked me why-"

The tall, lanky teen cut her off, "Like back at the motel with your brother-"

"Nuh-uh... Let's not bring that up ever again..." she interrupted, a flushed color creeping its way up her neck.

"See? Exactly like that," Ben argued.

"I just-"

"I heard your... argument...? With your dad and you defended me saying “Ben is my... good friend...? and-and I just really like him...” and that just-" he sighed, frustrated.

"O-oh... You heard that?" Kassidy asked, flushing in embarrassment as she quickly looked away.

"We all did Kass," Ben replied, flat. "So...So what did you mean by that?" he finally asked.

"You asked me... Back at the bell tower. 'Why?' So-"

"But what does that have to do with this?" Ben inquired.