XXIV. Murder on Mind

Hayley hurried, Elijah right behind her

"Are you sure? How can you tell?" Elijah panicked. 

"I know, I know," Hayley wept, running as fast as her legs could take her, "I can feel it."

Elijah paused by the Church doors, shaking his head, "no. I won't believe it till I see it."

Opening the doors, however, he believed it. 

At first, he blamed it on his current state. Werewolf venom was running through his veins, his mind far from sane. It was a hallucination, he was sure. 

But then he turned to Hayley, who stood still, staring ahead as silent sobs escaped her mouth. 

She wasn't hallucinating. This was all too real. 

He walked slowly, cautiously, scared to approach. As if staying away could somehow make this better. 

Niklaus hadn't noticed them yet. Or if he had, he hadn't looked up. 

From where Elijah stood, she looked like she was sleeping. But he could smell the metallic blood and could see the tears falling from his younger brother's face. 

Klaus sat against the altar, his arms wrapped around Holly. Her blonde hair stuck to his chest, the ends a dark clumpy red. Her hand had fallen limply onto the floor like she was merely a rag doll. 

"Holly," Hayley whispered, kneeling down in front of Klaus, as she mustered up her voice, "Holly."

Elijah couldn't hear a heartbeat. Hayley couldn't feel the bond. Yet they both held on, childishly. Holding onto hope. 

Neither could see her face. Neither could see the cause of death. 

Klaus was holding her too tight, holding her head to his chest as he rocked slowly, whispering into her ear and stroking her hair the way she always liked him to. 

Elijah reached out, his hand stopping Klaus from rocking. Looking up, Klaus said nothing, only gently turning Holly in his arms. 

Hayley's breath caught in her throat as she began to cry. 

She was pale. So pale. Her eyes were closed, the world no longer worthy of eyes so bright. She looked so calm, so peaceful. Yet her tears still hadn't dried. 

Hayley tried not to look at her throat, she really did. It was not the way she wanted to remember Holly. 

But the gaping wound was hard to ignore. The blood still oozing out was hard to ignore. The throat that many had killed and died for, exposed for the whole world to see.

"She's gone," Klaus whispered, refusing to let her go. 

They all already knew that. But saying it aloud made it all too real.