IX. O' Come All Ye Faithful

"How come you've got out of this?" Holly whined as she added more presents to the donation pile

"Because I'm trying to stop Jeremy from killing me. Bonnie says she knows a way," Elena spoke through the phone as Damon drove them to the Gilbert lake house.

"And you couldn't have taken me with you!" Holly squealed, "you've all gone on holiday and I'm left doing charity!"

"You're being a good person, Holly," Elena reminded her.

"I don't want to be a good person," retorted Holly, "I want to sit around a log fire and roast marshmallows and go canoeing and isolate myself from everyone and disappear into the woods so that you all get freaked out! Ugh, I'm always the one that suffers!"

"Yeah, yeah." Damon brushed her off, "go make some kids happy or something."

Before Holly could reply, they hung up. Spotting Caroline, she walked over, "hey, where's Stefan? He's supposed to be helping me out."

"Plans changed," Caroline said briskly, "and apparently people volunteer for things without consulting others."

"Tell me about it," Holly huffed, "Elena volunteered today and suddenly she's busy! So who has to stand in? Me."

Caroline's infuriated scowl dropped slightly, looking at Holly somewhat sympathaticly, "hey, do you want to stay the night at mine tonight? Now that you're officially home alone."

"Sure, that'd be nice. Although I should clarify I don't hate volunteering," Holly laughed self-consciously, "there are many other people here more deserving of your pity."

"Girls!" Carol Lockwood appeared, beaming at them, "would one of you mind going and helping Mr Tombs with the bidding items?"

"I'll go," Holly said quickly, as Caroline looked like she had a million things going on.

🤍

Holly was arranging the display of antique jewelry when she noticed Klaus stood on the other side of the table.
"Here to steal Tiny Tim's crutches?"

"Dickens was a dark man," Klaus nodded, a small smile gracing his lips, "you would've liked him."

"Would I?" Holly mused, "I, uh, saw your snowflake." She gestured to the painting on the stand, depicting snow across a dark background, "impressive."

"Is my work really that literal?" Klaus sighed, somewhat joking.

"No, it's really good," Holly assured, "although it looks very lonely."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Klaus smiled, "can I offer you some champagne?"

"I'm afraid there are too many adult prying eyes," Holly glanced around. "Elena's promised me a new flat iron if I can go a month without being brought up at the council meeting with my 'questionary behaviour'."