II. Rebirth

New Orleans was exactly as Holly had left it

An absolute shit show. 

The werewolves were still in charge, Klaus still weakened by their rings. The compound looked bleak and empty, a stark contrast to the lively French Quarter. But it was perfect for Holly. 

She ignored the looks she got as she walked down the street. Some of shock, some of pity. Some of fear. Holly preferred the latter. 

However, she was aware that there was most likely a bounty on her head. So, with a little hustle, she quickly shut the gate behind her, locking out the world from her home once again. 

"Holly," Elijah called from the balcony. 

"Well, it sure is dull in here," Holly whistled, looking around. The vines were all grey, dead and drooping. The furniture was covered in dust sheets, all the lights out. "You boys are not the best housekeepers."

"I didn't know you were coming home," Elijah began to walk towards the stairs. 

"I couldn't spend a minute more in Mystic Falls," Holly stuck her tongue out like she'd just swallowed some foul thing, "it's a rather nauseating place."

"I take it your humanity is still off," Elijah noted, taking in the laid back shoulders and the sharp tone. 

"And will be until further notice," Holly passed him on the staircase. 

"Niklaus is through there," Elijah called behind her, "I think it's about time you two talk."

"What about?" Holly turned around, quizzical. Her playful eyes were met with dark sombre ones. "Look at the state of you," she tutted, "this whole place is depressing."

Walking down the hall, she climbed the stairs into her room, quickly running to shut the nursery door. In response to her subconscious action, Holly stepped back, hands frozen against the door. Gulping, she pulled away, moving her hands to tuck her hair behind her ears. 

A flicker of light, a spur of wind and a visual blur caused Holly to let out a loud sigh. Looking over to the door, she saw it was empty, again. Klaus had seen everything he needed to.

And now, yet another person would look over to her with pity, even when Holly felt absolutely fine. 

🤍

Holly figured it best to stay out of the Quarter. Just to steer clear of the werewolves. So, across the river, she went clubbing. 

It was fantastic. The loud pumping music, the hearts beating just as loud. The people with zero personal space, brushing up against her, dancing to the loud music. Too intoxicated to do anything other than simply nod as Holly whispered in their ear, don't cry out.

Everything about it was pure euphoria. The way his body pressed against hers, his arms trapping her, his cheek resting on her head as they swayed to the music. His hands clawing at her back, gripping onto her.