XVII. Because The Night

"OMG it's you!" Holly awoke to someone jumping on her, a blur of blonde as Caroline shook her, "when did you get here?"

Sitting up, Holly gently pushed Caroline off her, rubbing her eyes as her head stung slightly, "ugh, I need some aspirin."

"Were you at the party?" Caroline lifted the duvet up, a cold wind drafting into Holly's warm, cozy cocoon, before climbing in beside her.

"No," Holly closed her eyes, her head falling back against the pillow, "but what was that all about?"

Late last night, Holly had arrived at Casa Salvatore to find the house filled with drunk people and crappy music. Too exhausted to look around and actually engage in social interactions, Holly had made a beeline upstairs, crashing in one of the many spare rooms.

"That was no-humanity Elena," Caroline sighed, "it's been hectic around here."

"Where is she now?" Holly spoke quietly, hoping Caroline would get the hint and pipe down, "no doubt with one of the Salvatores."

"Damon's taken her to New York, he has a new lead on the cure."

"Seriously? We're still trying to find this dumb cure? Just take the loss and move on," Holly muttered.

"It's the only way Elena's going to get her humanity back, Holly," Caroline spoke gently.

"Ahh, so Elena gets her happy ever after whilst the rest of us suffer. God, I missed Mystic Falls," Holly climbed out of bed, opening the blinds and fishing through her suitcase.

"How've you been?" Caroline sat up, watching her friend.

"Oh, just mourning my brother, grieving my sister, which is funny as she is actually still alive, so you know, never better," Holly pulled out a pink dress, the only clean thing she had left, "I tell you what I actually do miss; washing machines. And not sleeping in motel rooms that look like they were once crime scenes."

"Is that what you've been doing? Crashing at motels?" Caroline raised her eyebrows.

"Well, we both watched my house burn down," Holly pulled out her bag of cheap drugstore toiletries that she'd picked up at a gas station. "What are you doing here?"

"It's the only place in town without vervain water. I tried to call you," Caroline followed Holly into the bathroom, earning a scoff in response.

"Look, Caroline," Holly leant against the bathroom counter, "I am extremely hungover, my entire body aches and all I want right now is for you to stop talking. I don't, honestly, even know why I'm back here, and I'm projecting my anger onto you, which is neither helpful or fair. Can I please just shower in peace?"

Caroline nodded, looking down almost embarrased, "sure... okay." She left, shutting the door behind her as Holly swore softly, running a hand through her hair.