V. Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

🤍

🤍

Holly's head broke the surface of the water as her hands wiped the excess out of her eyes. Climbing out of the bath, she wrapped a fresh white towel around her body before scrunching the water out of her hair.

The mirror had fogged up, but her reflection still loomed over Holly, tauntingly.

It had been a week since Bonnie's funeral. Life had passed slowly, Holly a shell of herself. She was torn, torn between wanting her old life and wanting her new life.
Initially, Holly had foolishly believed that her period of mourning would shorten if she returned to New Orleans. Bonnie was never part of this life.

Yet Bonnie was always apart of Holly's life. The old cliché saying came back to haunt Holly. You never know what you had until it's gone.

A couple of missed calls from the Mystic Falls lot pinged on Holly's phone, but she was too drained to answer.

It was either to talk about their feelings or the chaos Silas was causing in Mystic Falls. Either way, Holly would hang up feeling helpless and homesick.

Pulling on a t-shirt over her trackpants, Holly let out a huff as it stopped short of her belly button. Oversized hoodie it is, then.

"A lot's changed since I've been gone, I see," Elijah remarked from the open door.

"I am in desperate need of new clothes," Holly laughed lightly.

"I take it all is well," Elijah remained at the door, not wanting to intrude.

"As well as can be expected," Holly sighed, grimacing slightly.

"About that," Elijah put his hands together in front of him, "Hayley and I have been talking."

"Have you?" Holly raised her eyebrows, smiling.

"I feel it is time that we resolve your little... Predicament," he ignored her comment, "unlink you from the dastardly witch."

"How?"

Elijah looked out the window, "I'll have to get back to you on that."

🤍

The book on Holly's lap closed, her page left unmarked as she winced. Her hand came to her neck where a sharp sting had taken hold.

"You alright?" Hayley looked up from her magazine across the room.

"Yes, but Sophie isn't," Holly pulled her hand away, the faint smudge of blood on her fingertips.

Hayley walked over, looking at her neck, "should we tell someone?"

"She could just be getting jabs," Holly's eyes widened hopefully.