XIX. Night Has a Thousand Eyes

There wasn't much point staying after that

There wasn't much point staying after that. Holly and Hope spent the night with Bonnie, catching up after so long apart over cheap wine and old rom-coms. But by the time morning came, Holly was ready to leave. 

They stopped by the Salvatore House to say goodbye to Jeremy and Alaric and were back on a plane by the time the sun had fully risen. 

In the day Holly had gone, Freya had helped fix the Rebekah situation. Eva Sinclair, the child-killer, had lost control of Rebekah, and all the children she had taken power from. A victory for the French Quarter. 

But returning brought back all Holly's fears. Brought back the threat of Dahlia. 

"Excuse me, miss?" The taxi driver turned to the back seat, "the road's too crowded. I'm going to have to drop you off here."

Holly peered through the front windscreen to see the usual busy crowd of people. 

"Oh, it's market day," Holly had completely forgotten, "my bad."

The taxi driver went to get her bag out of the trunk as Holly pulled out her purse and grabbed Hope's carrier, shuffling out onto the pavement. 

"Here you go," she handed him the fare, thanking him as he got back in the car, turning around. 

Travelling alone with a baby was not her forte, and she struggled with putting Hope's carrier down to pull up her pram, and simultaneously not be knocked out by a passer's elbow. 

But she managed. 

Stuffing her bag into the pram compartment, Holly clicked the carrier into the pram, close to breaking a sweat. 

"Okay," Holly took a deep breath, before pushing the pram out onto the road, heading towards the compound. 

The market was beautiful, and Holly wondered why she had never really walked down here before. She had, of course, she lived two roads down, but she had never just walked to the market. It was a romantic yet simple notion, and Holly decided that she would, one day, walk down this street for the whole purpose of walking down the street. 

Holly reckoned you could buy anything and everything at this market. It was just as eccentric as its city, one man selling paintings, the other selling cheese. The tune of a violin floated through the air, creating a lively atmosphere, and Holly stopped for a few minutes, watching a young lady stood over her violin case in between stalls. 

Hope didn't know where to look, taking in all the different colours and noises and smells. 

As the music drew to a close, Holly reached for her purse, pulling out a few dollars and dropping them into the case, "thank you, that was beautiful."

The lady smiled in thanks, and Holly carried on her amble back home. 

A few stalls down and the lady had moved onto her next piece. Holly recognised it.