XXIII. Graduation

Alaric and Jeremy practically demolished their burgers in one bite as Holly and Elena laughed

"No grease on the Other Side huh?" Elena chuckled. 

"You have no idea how much I missed this," Alaric nodded, reaching down to the floor and picking up the bottle of bourbon, "and this. Woah, hey-" He cried out in protest as Elena took it off him, having a swig herself. 

"She just got her humanity back, let her live a little," Jeremy laughed, reaching out for the bottle himself, but Elena pulled it back. 

"You wish."

"I'm dead, what are they gonna do? Throw me in juvie?" Jeremy laughed. 

"Well, then at least you'd have a place to live." Alaric laughed as Elena threw her chips at him, Holly high-fiving him. 

"You all suck!" Elena chuckled as everyone ducked to avoid the food being thrown at them. 

Holly cried out in protest, desperately trying to catch the food, "you're wasting it!" She laughed.

"Hey!" Alaric softened as he looked at the two girls laughing, "well there's our favourite smiles. I wasn't sure we were gonna see them again."

"I've done some pretty terrible things," Elena nodded glumly, her voice cracking. 

"Me too," Holly looked down at her fries, "mainly signing an eighteen-year sentence."

"Hey, both of you. No tears," Jeremy scolded, "if Caroline was right, we only have until tonight. We need a no crying rule."

Holly sighed defeatedly, "you always set me up for failure."

"Crying's good," Elena defended, "it means that I'm finally feeling something, and right now, I... I'm so happy."

Elena's phone ringing interrupted the moment, as she checked the called ID, "it's the Grill, must be Matt." She stood up, walking out of the cemetery to answer it. 

"She's coming back to you, Holly," Alaric said gently, "you don't have to forgive her but atleast leave here as friends."

Holly looked around, avoiding their eyes, "I've really fucked it up."

"No, you haven't." Jeremy caught her eye, "you took care of yourself."

"I slept with Klaus! And then got pregnant! I'm nineteen!"

"And you'll be the best mother out there," Alaric placed a hand on her knee, "I know you can't see us, but we're always with you. And we're so proud of you." Holly smiled, standing up and giving Ric a hug, "Elena is too, you know. You should try and talk to her."

"I will," Holly agreed, "but you know I can't put her first anymore."

Elena's raised voice caused all three of them to turn towards her. Alaric went over to check on her as Jeremy and Holly sat, finishing their fries.