VII. The River in Reverse

🤍

🤍

"You're back," Holly frowned as Rebekah walked into the kitchen. 

"Unfortunately," Rebekah tutted, "as are you."

"Fortunately," Holly nodded, before her face twisted slightly, "I think."

"Whilst my nice brother is left to writhe in pain somewhere out in the bayou with a newly transitioned hybrid to keep him company," Rebekah walked past Holly to the door, "I'd consider yourself lucky that you're Klaus' favourite."

"Thanks, I guess?" Holly raised an eyebrow, taking the spoon out of her coffee and dropping it in the sink, "where are you going?" 

"Out," Rebekah quipped, stepping out of the back door, disappearing quickly. 

"Ok then," Holly broke off mid-wave, putting the milk back in the fridge and walking back upstairs. 

"Morning Holly," 

"Hi Cami," Holly smiled softly at the girl who had just stepped into the house, before glaring at Klaus who stood behind her. 

"Ignore her, would you," Klaus smiled at Cami, gesturing to the office, "hormones, you know how it is."

Holly damn near dropped the coffee as Cami's smile wavered as she hurried into the office, Klaus smirking at Holly's reaction. "Hormones? 'Cause there's obviously something wrong with me, especially to disapprove of you basically emotionally abusing the poor bartender." 

"Oh, my love, I couldn't care less if you disapprove of my tactics. You're not the one who calls shots around here," Klaus stepped closer as Holly's eyebrows lowered. "I am."

"Excuse me?" 

"I'm getting rather tired of having to explain that everything I do, I'm doing for you. So why don't you run along like a good girl, before I dump your ass back out in the bayou," Klaus spoke so softly, with such a sweet smile on his face that Holly had to blink a few times before his words actually registered with her. 

"You are so toxic, do you know that?" She stepped past him, scowling as she headed back up the stairs. 

"You see? Is it really that difficult to do as I ask?" Klaus called after her, chuckling as he got a middle finger in response. 

Slamming her door just to annoy Klaus, Holly cursed under her breath. However, her anger quickly dissolved when her laptop began to chime and a skype call invitation popped up. Holly clicked on the link to see Elena and Caroline in their dorm room. 

"Good morning!" Caroline sung, and Holly did a double-take at her extreme smile. 

"Someone's happy," she remarked. 

"We've got a surprise for you," Elena beamed beside her, "close your eyes".

"I'm not closing my eyes," Holly laughed.