XVIII: The Departed

"Hey," Holly swung her legs off the chair arm, smiling at Elena as she woke up dazed

"Hey," Holly swung her legs off the chair arm, smiling at Elena as she woke up dazed. "How are you feeling?"

"What happened?" Elena groggily rubbed her eyes, gazing around the hospital room.

"You had a concussion, passed out on me and everything," Holly leant forward on the chair, rubbing her palms together. "But we have to get back ASAP. We're just waiting on our vampire and Matt escort. It's not safe to be out in the open."

"You sound like we're on some survival show," Elena lightly chuckled. 

"'Cause we are. I got you a change of clothes," Holly pulled them out of her bag, "be quick."

Less than ten minutes later they were ready to leave the hospital, Caroline, Matt and Tyler in tow. Holly drove, ignoring every red light and stop sign as everyone clung to their seats for dear life. Arriving back home, Holly went to put the kettle on as Caroline took Elena to the couch, Tyler and Matt checking for intruders. 

"How is she?" Holly looked up as Caroline entered the kitchen. 

"I think she's about to pass out," Caroline slumped against the counter, "speaking of, I think you should too."

"Care, as much as I love your optimism, you and I both know I'm not getting any sleep. Coffee?" 

"It's like midnight!" Caroline shook her head disapprovingly. "Oh, hang on," she dug her phone out of her pocket as it began to ring. "Mom?" 

Holly straightened as Caroline's whole demanour changed, her face dropping. "Ok, mom. I'll get Tyler and we'll go... ok." Her hand dropped as she turned to Holly, "My mom says there's an emergency."

Tyler suddenly appeared at the kitchen door, phone in hand. "Did your mom call you too?" Caroline nodded, "we gotta go help."

They both turned to Holly who agreed, "go, Matt and I'll take care of Elena until Stefan and Damon come back."  Hesitantly they left, just as Matt reappeared from upstairs.

"House is empty." 

"Good, you watch Elena, I'm gonna go shower. I smell like hospitals." Holly gave one final glance at Elena, who was peacefully sleeping with a smile on her face before bounding up the stairs. 

  🤍

Holly pulled on her hoodie as she walked down the stairs, pausing as she saw Elena stand up from the couch. "What are you doing up?" 

"Ugh, I've had enough of everyone bossing me around," groaned Elena. 

"Boohoo, people are trying to keep you alive, must suck," Holly pulled a face. The doorbell rang before Elena could find a reply, Holly stepping down the steps to open it. "Elena, get your ass back on the couch."

"Apologies for interrupting this sisterly quarrel," Elijah stepped past Holly, who stared at him with wide eyes, "but we need to talk." Holly turned to see Matt and Stefan freeze in the kitchen, filled with some relief that Stefan had made an appearance.