III. The Rager

"What's the emergency?" Holly sat down on the bench round the back of the school

"Where were you in history?" Caroline asked, sat on the opposite table.

"Oh, shoot was that today," Holly feigned disappointment, well aware she'd missed it.  "diggity-darn it!"

"Rebekah was there, and uh, as you know they don't get along," Stefan gestured to the pacing Elena. 

"Don't get along? She killed me, Stefan!" Elena seethed with rage, "and here she is, meddling with my life like I'm some toy!" 

"Well, you made it through first period, valiant first day effort," Holly shrugged, pulling an apple out of her bag. 

"It's more than Holly's done," Caroline jabbed at her before turning back to Elena, "no one will judge you if you want to go home."

"I don't want to go home," Elena refused. 

"I do, so badly," Holly flopped back, resting her head on the table, "and I only left ten minutes ago."

"I want to take the white-oak stake and kill her." Elena was so angry she hadn't even registered Holly's skyving. "That's how mad I am. She made me murderous." 

"How about we just leave the murdering to Damon?" Stefan suggested. 

"And then do what? Ignore her to death?" 

"Look, she's trying to make herself feel better. Everybody hates her so she's trying to hate harder. Tell you what, let's just skip the rest of the day," Holly's ears perked up as Stefan turned to her and Caroline, "go have some fun. I feel like this day is severely lacking in fun."

"Yeah, ok, fine. We'll go to her party and show her that she can't intimidate me."

"Ooh, Rebekah's having a party?" Holly cheered up, "no matter how much you hate those people you have to admit they throw the best parties."

"Yeah, in which we always end up running from!" Caroline laughed.

"I need to go home and get changed," announced Elena, turning to the school parking lot. 

"Where any of my clothes and they'll never find your body," Holly hollered after her, "does she seem a little off to you?"

"Yeah, she's channeling all of her emotions into rage. Makes her feel like she has a purpose. I used to do that too, you when I was a..."

"A Rippahhh," Holly sung. 

"Yep. She needs to come to terms with it, confront it, let it in before she can let it go. Speaking of," Stefan turned back to Holly, "avoiding your problems won't make them go away, but will most likely make you fail history."

"Says who?" Holly stood up. 

"You know, you're good at this." Caroline smiled as they walked .... "First you saved my vampire life, now you're saving hers."