I. The Birthday

Holly tilted her head back, her hair flying out behind her as the wind whipped past

Holly tilted her head back, her hair flying out behind her as the wind whipped past. It pushed against her, going against her will yet she stood still, holding her ground.

Taking a small step forward her toes hovered over the raging river, which ripped and rolled downstream. With her hands out for balance, Holly teetered over the edge, leaning neither forwards nor backwards. Gaze focused ahead, her face was a blank canvas, void of emotion.

The water down below called out, thrashing around and whispering sweet words of comfort. Her fatal attraction. The moon shone down rather bleakly, much to Holly's dismay. The water was so much more enticing when the moon was full.

Darkness had settled in on Mystic Falls, Wickery Bridge completely desolate apart from Holly. But as the waves of serenity washed over, her eyes began to close, and the whispers arrived.

Holly had been expecting them.

A frown settled on her face, nose scrunched as she tried to listen. Why the bloody hell was the water so loud? And why were the voices so quiet?

Opening her eyes again almost immediately, Holly's gaze settled on a rock further upstream. It was her mind playing tricks.
Here she was, stood on the wall her parents had been flung off over a year before. Her sister too, although she had survived.
It was her mind messing with her, fate's way of saying oh I ain't done fucking your life up yet.

Well, Holly had other plans.

Inching further off the wall, her toes creeped further and further towards the river. Mind empty, her heart soared at the exhilaration, eyes closing and heels rocking as the river below roared in hunger.

Taking a deep breath, she silenced her thoughts, waiting for peace. Waiting for happiness.

The voice of Rihanna echoed through the air, Disturbia blasting from Holly's coat pocket. Sighing, Holly pulled out her phone, glancing at the Caller  ID before pulling it to her ear.

"Caroline."

"Holly! Where are you?!" Caroline's voice was muffled, the sound of blaring music in the background.

"I'm just about to leave the house, everything alright over there?"

"No. I haven't got eighteen candles, only twelve, there aren't enough balloons and Tyler's bringing a date!"

"Ok, well, no-one really cares about candles, plus by the time the cake comes out we'll be to drunk to count properly. Balloons get annoying anyway and Damon will get in a huff if you overdo the decorations, but you already knew both of those because you're Caroline. So why are you stressed about Tyler?"

"I'm not stressed, I just don't like it! He's bringing Slutty Sophie... what if something happens with him..."

"It's not a full moon. Nothing can happen. So quit lying to both yourself and me, and go tell Tyler how you feel. Before I arrive and make you."