VXI. A Blessing from a Curse

It was nearly nine when Holly knocked on the old shop door

It was nearly nine when Holly knocked on the old shop door. She froze from her obnoxious tapping when a rifle appeared in front of her. 

"Woah, Beatrix! It's me!" Holly held her hand up as the old lady appeared behind the rifle, "why do you have a rifle?"

"To get rid of people who show up when I'm closed," Beatrix lowered the gun, ushering Holly in, "now what the hell are you doing here?" 

"I need a favour," Holly looked around, the room the same as she'd last seen it.

"Mmm-hmm," Beatrix crossed her arms. 

"I'm... I'm kind of..." Holly's hands went to her stomach. 

"Well, I can see that," Beatrix looked her up and down, "skipped sex ed did ya?"

"Uhm," Holly tucked her hair back, "I kinda, thought it didn't apply to us, but uh... apparently it did."

"Lord have mercy child," Beatrix rubbed her forehead, "because one pregnant siren in a lifetime isn't enough." 

"I've found a spell," Holly held out the scroll, "to stop her from getting it."

"Sweetie, your mother and I already tried everything..." Beatrix huffed, although her eyebrows creased as she read the scroll, "where did you get this?" 

"From the same hunters who killed my mother," Holly spoke softly, watching as Beatrix's face saddened, "or tried to at least."

"Let me guess; she beat them to it," Beatrix tutted, shaking her head as a small glimmer of a prideful smile graced her face. "Died a true Siren's death."

"A death that my daughter does not need to go through," Holly's breath hitched in her throat at the thought. 

"Well, it's worth a shot, but I'm not promising nothin' sweetie," Beatrix read through it again, "where are you getting vampire blood and werewolf venom from?"

"I... uhm," Holly sighed, somewhat humorously. Sometimes, her life seemed so much better without context. 

Beatrix raised an eyebrow, "I ain't gone none, child."

"No, I have it, but... it's in my child's blood."

"Excuse me?" 

"My daughter... well, she's not just a siren..."

"I'm listening."

"She may or not also be... part witch,"

"Continue,"

"I believe she's distantly related to a werewolf..."

"Uh-huh..."

"And she may or may not be born with fangs and a bloodlust."

"Goddammit child, who you sleeping with? A shapeshifter?"

"No, I... specifics don't matter," Holly shook her head, "can we get on it?" 

"Alright, alright," Beatrix pulled out a chair, gesturing for Holly to sit down.

Holly sat down, taking a deep breath, "have you ever seen that spell before?" 

"No, but how hard can it be?" Beatrix mused, walking over to a cupboard and pulling out a tray of surgical equiptment.

"I might regret this, but my curiosity is suicidal," Holly's eyes widened, "why the hell do you have a tray full of surgial tools?"

"I use them to disect animals," Beatrix shoved, putting the tray down on the table, "store-bought frog eyes are never as fresh."

"Oh," Holly nodded, hesistantly, "I think that makes sense."

As Beatrix held out a syringe, Holly quickly held out her hands, "I'll do it." Beatrix nodded, handing it over. 

The sting was sharp, but the same as any other needle. Holly winced as the blood from her stomach began to fill the syringe, the baby kicking in protest. 

"Hey, hey," Holly soothed, rubbing her belly as she handed the blood-filled needle to Beatrix, "calm down sis, this is all for you."

"Ok," Beatrix read over the scroll, as if they were about to start making cupcakes, "you chant whilst I read the spell, have you learnt it?" 

"I've read that scroll at least four hundred times, I know it." Holly readied herself, holding onto the chair to brace herself. 

"Three... two..." Holly let out a shriek in surprise as the needle fell into her neck, Beatrix injecting her baby's blood. 

"Where was the one?!" Holly scowled.

"Shut up and sing," Beatrix pulled out the needle and began reading the scroll. Holly began to chant, their voices mixing as Holly felt a twisting in her chest. She continued to sing through the discomfort, although her voice rose slightly as the ache intensified into a pain. 

A burning sensation filled her core, Holly sitting up straight trying to relieve the pain. But it wasn't working. Her voice raised as she repeated the chant, waiting for Beatrix's spell to finish. 

Beatrix was speaking in Latin, her voice raised in almost a shout, hands hovering just besides Holly's cheeks. With one final shout, Beatrix opened her eyes, looking at Holly who finished chanting simultaneously. 

"How are you feeling?" Beatrix stepped back. 

Holly gasped, clasping at her chest, "I... breathing... hard..."

It was like someone was tying a knot, a double knot, a triple knot. Clotting her arteries and veins, twisting her heart. Gripping onto the table as her knuckles turned white, Holly's knees dropped to the hard wood floor as she struggled to take deep breaths. 

"That's good, it means your power is rooting in you," Beatrix beamed, holding onto Holly's outstretched hand. 

"Hurts... bitch..." Holly groaned, almost choking on lack of air. "Ahh!" She groaned as a stabbing pain ripped across her chest before all the pain ceased. 

Falling back on her heels, she panted heavily, closing her eyes. She'd done it. Her daughter wasn't going to suffer from the Siren's Curse. Holly had kept her safe. Beatrix patted her on the shoulder before moving to the back to make a pot of tea. Slowly, Holly sat up again, holding her belly as a single tear fell down her face. Whether it was one of relief, exhaustion or pain, she had no idea. Maybe it was a three-in-one. 

"So, now that that's out of the way..." Beatrix offered Holly a cup of tea, "you care to tell me why the hell you slept with Niklaus Michaelson?"