XXV. Holding onto Hope

When Holly held her daughter, it was like all was finally right in the world

When Holly held her daughter, it was like all was finally right in the world. Every witch, every dead witch, every vampire body sprawled out in the middle of Holly's home, the powerful werewolves threatening the Mikaelson reign; none of it mattered. It was of no importance. 

The only thing that mattered was the soft heartbeat of the baby in her arms, the wide eyes and the plump pout, the little fist wrapped around Holly's pinky. Holly's entire world started with the tiny tufts of hair and ended with the squirming toes smaller than Holly's fingernails. Try as hard as she could, Holly couldn't turn her eyes away, couldn't dare lose focus, couldn't risk it. 

Since the birth, since her death, Holly hadn't even stopped to contemplate her new existence. She was now a vampire. Yet she didn't care. All she cared about was the baby in her arms, safe and secure. 

But even Holly knew they couldn't stay like this forever. 

She could hear Klaus and Elijah talking. Could hear Elijah urging Hayley to run, to escape the Guerrara wolves. Heard Hayley shut the idea down as quickly as it came. 

Maybe she could get used to the vamp perks.

For the first time, it appeared Klaus had shared her worries. For the entire pregnancy, Holly had been afraid of those enemies of Klaus, but only now was Klaus aware too. Aware that their daughter was anyone's key to destroy Klaus. And as the three sat in Holly's room, discussing ideas, sending her away, keeping her locked up, leaving New Orleans, Holly finally understood her mother's decision. 

It finally made sense. That sometimes, all the love in the world is not enough to protect someone. Sometimes it is love that puts them in danger. 

"There's only one option," Holly finally stood up, off her rocking chair, walking out into the room where the other three sat. They all turned to look at her as she rocked slightly, stroking the soft, supple skin of her beautiful girl. "My entire life, I grew up thinking my mother never loved me. But it was the opposite. She loved me too much to let me grow up with her name. With her curse, with her enemies. And now my daughter is less than a day old and already her own grandmother is hellbent on killing her. She will grow up, safe, and loved, I won't let her not," Holly took a deep breath as her throat closed up, sniffling in an attempt to not cry. "And I think that..." she paused, her voice suddenly shooting up an octave, "right now, it is too dangerous - we are too dangerous - for her to stay here. Until we clean this mess up, it isn't safe for her. We have to send her away... whilst we all stay here."

"No, that's insanity," Elijah shook his head, standing up. 

"Genevieve said that as long as she's alive she'll be hunted," Hayley argued, "if we send her away it just makes it easier."

"Not if no-one knows," Klaus spoke up. 

"What do you intend to do, brother?" Elijah asked, warily.