XI. Catch Me If You Can

Black water

Black water. Coughing, spluttering, choking. Drowning. Blood on ice, blood on her hands. Blood, blood, blood. Bronze knives lain strewn on water, her reflection shining through. Bloodshot eyes, fangs. Jeremy running through tunnels. Bonnie unconscious, a lake. A girl with long blonde hair, face down in water. Metallic taste of blood. A wail, a scream, a cry of mourning, the weep for a lost one. Fire. Fire everywhere, destroying everything. Entire worlds turned to ashes. Leaving nothing but rubble and dirt.

Holly shot up out of bed her heart pounding and her head spinning. Breath racing she tried to calm down, wiping her sweaty forehead. It wasn't real. But one day it would be.

Trying to distract herself, still too shaken to analyse the hell she had just witnessed, Holly called Jeremy on the landline receiving no reply. She was pissed off at herself for destroying her phone, but thankfully the SD card was still working.

Rummaging through the desk drawers in her dad's old office, Holly quickly found an old handset, turning it on to text Bonnie, the other local psychic.
However, after a very short and blunt conversation she realised Bonnie was occupied as Shane had been arrested. He was behind the killing of both the hybrids and the council members, all to channel dark magic.

Not only was Bonnie busy, but no-one currently at the Lake House was responding. Holly had received a blunt text from Elena, telling her she'd gone to the lake house but that was it.

So Holly had a free day and plenty to think about. Having a quick shower and getting ready, Holly was out of the house in thirty minutes, eager to clear her head.

No-one except Caroline was at school. The day went by excruciatingly slow, Holly constantly on edge as she awaited the horror that was her vision.

By the final bell, Holly was running out of school, bored out of her mind. So, she decided to pay a visit to the ice rink. A couple of years ago this was routine; go straight to the rink after school for training. Now it felt like a treat, a rare luxury.

With her membership expired Holly winced at the cost of one session but nonetheless payed. She ignored the whispers of the people around her, used to petty gossip. Holly smiled at her old skating partner who was training with his new one.

It was strange stepping out onto the ice, like she was home but she no longer lived there. Everyone eyed her warily, having not heard or seen her for nearly two years. So Holly did what she did best; plopped some headphones on and ignored everyone.

However, her disassociating proved difficult as a nagging, creeping crawling feeling rose up her spine and knotted in her stomach. Looking around her paranoia intensified as she met eyes with a janitor.