X. The Map of Moments

Holly couldn't sit still the entire car journey

Holly couldn't sit still the entire car journey. The night had passed so slowly, stretching out over eternity. Her hands were sweaty as a million thoughts raced through her head. 

What did Hope look like?

Had she started talking? 

Did she have hair?

What if she hated Holly?

What if this was all a trap?

What if Esther was following behind them right -

Holly took a sharp inhale of breath, wiping her hands on her jeans. 

"You alright?" Klaus looked away from the road for a minute. 

"Yeah," Holly nodded, "is it weird to be nervous?"

"I have no idea," Klaus let out a shaky laugh, "but if it's any consolation I am too."

Holly sat up as Klaus pulled off the main road onto a dirt track, "are we nearly here?"

Klaus only nodded, the speed of the car picking up even more. The road was long and Holly felt her heart race rapidly as a traditional white house appeared ahead of them. 

White picket fence, wrap-around terrace, the whole shebang. A secluded life far from the chaotic French Quarter. 

Pulling into the drive, Klaus hadn't even stopped the car before Holly jumped out. She ran for the house, all of her restless energy escaping as the figures in front of her got closer into view. Elijah and Rebekah stood in the front yard as Holly halted in her tracks. Sitting in Elijah's arms was Hope. Holly's mouth opened and closed a few times, unsure of what to say, what to do. Considering she had spent the past six months dreaming of this moment, she was grossly unprepared. 

Her eyes never left the baby, her voice lost in her throat. 

As Elijah slowly walked closer, Holly didn't move, stunned to the spot. 

Hope smiled, cooing loudly as Elijah gently moved her out of his arms, Holly's opening instinctively. She was so much bigger now. Heavier too. Her eyes remained that beautiful bright blue and her smile was infectious. Holly could not explain the sensation that ran through her as she finally held her daughter again. It was like gasping for air after being underwater, drinking water after being stuck in the desert, like finally seeing clearly after months of only seeing pixels. Like waking up after a six-month nightmare. 

"Hi," she whispered, smiling as Hope looked up at her, gabbling. She rested her forehead against the soft whispers of hair on Hope's head, pressing gentle kisses as she looked up to meet Rebekah and Elijah's faces, the purest of joy stretched across her face in a beam. 

Turning around, Klaus stood behind her, a few feet away. Meeting his eye, she walked over, selfishly hoping she wouldn't have to let go of her daughter. But she wasn't just Holly's. Klaus held onto Hope like she was a china doll, scooping her against his chest with a slightly bewildered look in his eye. His fear soon changed, however, as Hope hummed happily in his arms. Kissing her softly, he looked up, smiling at Holly. They were all together again.