IV. Every Mother's Son

Holly gawked, stopping in her tracks on the stairs

Holly gawked, stopping in her tracks on the stairs. Her eyes had to be deceiving her. This was a cruel trick of the mind. She walked over to the table swiftly, studying it before finally giving in and smiling. 

"Did you do this?" She called up the stairs, her eyes never leaving the array of mouth-watering food spread across the table. 

"No doubt compelled some poor chef," Hayley walked across the courtyard from her rooms. 

"Can't say I've never done that," Klaus appeared on the balcony, answering Holly, "but this wasn't my doing."

"Must have been Elijah's then," Hayley picked up a grape. 

"Wasn't mine either," Elijah walked out. 

"Then... where did this all come from?" Holly asked warily. 

Both her and Hayley jumped as a dish shook beside them, a metal dome hiding its contents. 

Cautiously, Klaus leant over, pulling off the lid as two agitated birds flew out. 

"What the hell was that?!" Holly looked up to the sky, watching the birds fly off. 

However, the other three were more preoccupied with the letter that lay on the steel platter, underneath were the birds had previously been. 

"An invitation from our mother," Klaus spoke softly, venomously. His eyes met Elijah's as Holly moved over his shoulder, reading the four words scrawled on the parchment in ink. 

Dinner. Your home. 8 pm

🤍

"You know, it's times like these I'm really glad I never met my mother," Hayley threw another grape into the air, missing her mouth by a few hundred miles. 

"I get you," Holly nodded, the two girls staring up at the ceiling, the leftover food splayed out around them, "I met my bio mom once, and it didn't go down well."

"What happened?" 

"She drowned me," Holly responded quickly, Hayley sitting up as she spluttered. 

"We have enough enemies here," Klaus walked back in from the balcony, "and now the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

"Your mother and her cult tried to put a knife in our baby's heart," Holly reminded sourly, "not to mention the multiple times she's tried to kill all of you." 

"And how many times have you tried to kill all of us?" Klaus rose an eyebrow. 

"Overruled, irrelevant," Holly sat up, ignoring Hayley's questioning face. "She's just another number on the body count. She's already died like a bazillion times, we'll just do it again."

"You'll do no such thing," Elijah walked in, his tone sharp, "Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know which body she inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds another host."