IX: The New Deal

"Take a deep breath, close your eyes and focus on me

"Take a deep breath, close your eyes and focus on me." Caroline stood in the Gilbert's back yard.

"Ok. Focusing." Holly closed her eyes, concentrating.

"What am I thinking?"

Holly drew up blanks, "uh, what's for lunch?"

"Nope. Try again."

Slumping down, Holly groaned, "I don't know Caroline! I keep guessing and nothing's right!"

"Well stop guessing. Come on girl! You're supposed to be psychic. You don't guess, you know."

"I know." Holly closed her eyes again, forgetting about making guesses. Caroline. What's going on with Caroline.

An argument. Trust issues. School work. Tyler. Dinner with mom.

"You in?"

Holly opened her eyes, as Caroline's calmness washed over her, suddenly feeling all bubbly. "You argued with Tyler?"

Caroline's face dropped in amazement, "no fucking way. Try the psychic pain!"

"What? Caroline, no." Holly shook her head, laughing.

"Please! I'll be fine. Just... Give me a headache." Caroline pleaded, rather bizarrely.

Holly nodded, choosing to keep her eyes open this time. "The grimoire said if I want something I have to picture it. So I'll picture you with a..."

Caroline let out a shriek, causing Holly to immediately release the mind hold. "Holy shit, Holly! You're awesome."

"Are you alright? I'm so sorry," Holly ran over as Caroline laughed.

"Alright? I felt like my brain was being fried. Do it again!"

"No." Holly shook her head. "I managed to do it, so let's just... Forget about it."

"Throw me against the fence." Caroline jumped up, bouncing on the spot.

"Caroline, are you insane?" Holly eyed her friend warily.

"I don't know, you're the psychic. Come on, hit me."

Holly shook her head at her friend before concentrating, this time with her eyes open. It felt strange, like she had an extra hand reaching out to Caroline. And Holly made this hand pick Caroline up and throw her against the fence. Holly fell to the floor as her knees buckled, absolutely exhausted, "Caroline?"

"Whoo! I'm okay," Caroline clambered to her feet. "Next time Klaus causes trouble, I'm hiding behind you, wow!"

"That's all well and good, but I just slammed you to that wall. Are you sure I didn't hurt you?" Holly looked up as her friend stood beaming, hands out to help her up. 

"I bounce back, baby!" Caroline began to laugh as she pulled Holly up. Holly remained serious for a minute, before beginning to giggle too. "Come on, let's get you some coffee."