Exiled

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Anaya

"Assalam Alaikum, Mamma." I called my mother-in-law the minute I returned home.

"Walaikum Assalam, Anaya. Are you back from Canada?" Mamma sounded calm and normal. "How are you and the twins?"

"Alhumdulillah." I bit my lip. "But I went over to your house and..."

There was brief silence on the other end. "Yes, my dear, we left that house." 

"The man there said you guys were evicted. How? I don't understand." I paced the living room of our home, confused. "Faiz himself pays the rent." 

"Look, sweetheart." She sighed. "Faiz has an old bad habit of not checking his bank account, so he didn't notice that whenever he transferred me money for the rent, I return it to him immediately."

"Why?" I was shocked. "Itni narazgi ke unhe aap unka farz bhi nahin nibhane daingi?" 

*"Are you so angry that you won't even let him fulfil his duty?"

I was hurt, so hurt by her decision. I cannot even imagine what Faiz would go through, and the thought brought tears in my eyes.

"No, my love. No anger." She sounded sad as well. "I had made the decision to pay the rent myself, but apparently, my salary isn't enough to pay the rent in this area of London."

"Faiz didn't say that he won't take care of you guys at all."

"I know ,dear, but I'm just being considerate to him." She explained. "Like himself and his siblings, he plans on sending his kids to a private school to provide them with the best education possible. He needs to save up for them, for their future." 

"Mamma, to just leave like that without telling us? Faiz is going to feel awful. He's going to feel guilty that he wasn't able to successfully fulfil his duty towards you and his sisters." 

"Anaya, this is for the best. For us and for your family." 

"Please give me your address, Mamma. I want to come and talk to you in person." 

She hesitated before replying. "I'll get Sumi to text it to you. But it's on the other side of London, so it will take you around forty-five minutes to get here, at least." 

"Why did you get a place so far away from us?" I asked, bewildered. "Mamma, if you're angry at me for what happened when Chachu and Chachi were here, I'm sorry. But this isn't right. You have made me feel like an outsider, and I'm sure that Faiz will feel the same." 

"Actually, I owe you an apology, Anaya." Her voice broke. "I said harsh things about you, something that a stereotypical mother-in-law would say about her Bahu, and I don't want that to happen with us. I love the bond that you and I have, and I don't want that to change. So if giving you and Faiz your own space will retain that bond, I'm willing to do that." 

"Faiz will be really hurt, Mamma." 

"Please make him understand, beta."

"How do I make him understand when I don't understand myself?" I almost snapped at her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound rude, but I'm genuinely confused. What did we do to make you all push us away like that?" 

"You didn't do anything, Anaya. We did." She whispered. "We've already caused a huge argument between Rida and Waqas, because he feels that she is too focused on our family. I just don't want that to happen with you and Faiz as well. A married couple deserve their own space for their own family. They need their own privacy, and the freedom of living their own lives."