Shocking Revelations

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

I stared at the file that Baba Jaan was holding out in front of me.

"Sign it!" He repeated, this time a little firmly.

"Even if I wanted to, I can't." I shrugged.

"Why not?" He frowned at me.

"Because when Faiz bought the property, he must have figured out that something like this might happen." I explained. "I had to sign legal documents to accept the property under my name, and in that legal document, there was a certain clause that I think you overlooked, Baba Jaan." 

"What are you talking about?" His frown deepened.

"This property cannot be transferred without Faiz's signature." I said. "See, he bought the property under his own name, and when he transferred it to me, he had his lawyer add that clause."

"You're lying."

"You can contact the lawyer and ask?" I suggested. "It's a local lawyer, so you can contact them easily." 

Baba Jaan shook his head, muttering under his breath, and threw the file to the floor, before turning and heading back inside, slamming the door so loudly that the windows rattled.

I felt shaken. While Baba Jaan hadn't openly expressed his emotions much, he hadn't been a bad father, especially considering that my recent discovery that he and Ammi had only wanted sons. My reasonable wishes had always been granted, like buying a new dress every other month or so, or jewellery; or if I wanted to eat something particular from a restaurant, he got it for me. And now? Now he was behaving like I was a stepchild or something, and until now, Ammi had behaved the same way. 

"What's going on?" 

I turned and saw Chachu and Chachi coming up the stairs, looking wary, probably having heard the angry loud voice and the door slamming.

"Chachu, Chachi, I want everyone to stop pretending that everything is okay, and explain to me the reason why my parents are the way they are." I said, firmly. "I know that they wanted a son, but this is a ridiculous way to treat their own biological daughter." 

Chachi glanced at my uncle. "Arif, I think we should tell her. She's old enough and married. I'm sure she's mature enough to handle it." 

Chachu nodded. "Come downstairs, Anaya." 

Feeling anxious, and suddenly doubting whether I really wanted to listen to this or not, I followed them downstairs, into a seating area that seemed like it was hardly used. It was neat and clean, but there was no sign that humans visited that room apart from the cleanliness. Chachu said in an armchair and Chachi and I sat next to each other on a large sofa.

"The sudden change in Yasir Bhai's behaviour was a shock to us as well." Chachu began. "And then I discovered why he had changed so much, which is when I had the argument with him where my family stayed behind at our old home." He began to tap his index and middle fingers on the arm of the chair. "Your parents, like other parents, had saved money for your wedding. It wasn't going to be an issue. It was just enough for a simple Nikah and for the rukhsati. However, a few days before the Nikah, he made a wrong decision." He glanced at Chachi, taking a deep breath. "He decided to gamble the money, in order to increase it. He decided that the more the money, the more impressive ceremony they could have had for your Nikah." 

I gasped. "He was going to use haram money to fund my Nikah?!" 

Gambling is haram in Islam, because it's a waste of hard-earned money that could be put to better uses, like charity or for other good, pure purposes.