Leaving Me Behind

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

I watched in horror as Baba Jaan and Chachu packed away our furniture into a moving van. What are they doing? I literally just got married last night! 

My heart was pounding faster than a race car, and I was clutching the door handle so tight that my knuckles turned white.

"Anaya." Faiz turned to face me, looking concerned.

I got out of the car and strode towards Baba Jaan. "Baba Jaan, what is this?" 

"We have to vacate the house now, Anaya." He looked grim as he began to shout instructions towards the moving men that were helping them.

"This can't be happening all of a sudden." I grabbed his arm. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" 

"Anaya, sacrifices have to be made for a daughter's wedding." He said. "We had to get you married in a good family, where you can live a comfortable and happy life, and this is the price we paid for it." 

"And what about Sumbal and Saleem's futures?" I asked. "How is it fair that they have to suffer because of your materialistic thinking?!" 

Faiz came up behind me, pulling off his sunglasses. "Assalam Alaikum."

"Walaikum Assalam, beta!" Baba Jaan's entire demeanor changed. Faiz hugged him and then Arif Chachu.

"Moving?" Faiz asked, stepped back and standing beside me.

"Yes, beta. By tonight, we will leave for our new house, In Sha Allah." My father replied. "It's not too far from here." 

"Would you like some help?" Faiz offered. "I can help you guys move." 

"Oh, no, beta! That's okay!" Baba Jaan said, way too quickly.

He doesn't want Faiz to see the new home. Why? Faiz was his son-in-law now, so why bother hiding anything from him?

My husband's phone rang, and he pulled it out of the pocket and glanced down at the caller ID. "Anaya, I'm sorry. I should really get going. I'll call you later, okay?" His gaze on me was soft and filled with concern.

"Okay, Allah Hafiz." My heart was sinking. I didn't want him to leave. I had no idea what was about to happen, and that genuinely worried me. I walked him back to the car.

"I don't like this, Anaya. I don't have a good feeling about this." He ran a hand through his hair, before turning to me. "Just call me if something's wrong, okay? I'll come and get you."

"What's the worst that can happen?" I tried to keep a brave face.

"That's a jinxing question. Don't you know that?" He teased me, but his own worry was obvious on his face. 

"I'll be fine. We're both being a little dramatic now." I laughed lightly. "They're still my parents. What are they going to do, kick me out of the house?" 

****

"This is your room." Ammi showed me the room on the roof. 

I wrinkled my nose. It smelled like birds. "People keep bird cages in rooms like this, Ammi!" 

A caged bird! How ironic.

"Why am I going to sleep in a bird room?" I asked. "Why can't I sleep downstairs beside Sumbal?" 

"You saw ow small the room is, beta!" She said. "And Sumbal has to go to school, so it's easier for her to have that room. Be grateful, at least you get a room. Saleem is sleeping in the sehan on a charpai until you leave. He'll move in here then."