Family Secrets

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Anaya

The paramedics had suggested taking Aunty to the hospital as a precaution, to rule out any underlying conditions that may be missed due to the limited equipment in the ambulance. They'd checked her blood pressure and ran a quick ECG scan and cleared her of any cardiac related issues, however, her weak state had concerned them.

"She had been throwing her meals away." I whispered to Faiz and Rida as we sat in the hospital hallway. "I discovered this earlier when I went to her room to feed her some soup."

The two eldest siblings exchanged a look. 

"I'm staying over a few days." Rida said, with determination.

I'm sure it wasn't her intention, but it stung a little. Did she think that we were not capable of looking after Aunty.

As if she had read my thoughts, Rida clarified. "Please don't feel offended, Bhabi. It's just that you yourself are new here, and it's not fair to expect you to suddenly handle the responsibility of the entire household, Mamma's health and our very immature siblings at the same time. I can help you out, and we'll manage it together."

She really was mature, a true copy of her mother.

The rest of the sisters had stayed home, with Mikael and the twins, but they kept repeatedly messaging to ask Aunty's condition.

We sat in silence for a while before Rida spoke up again. "It's so hard and strange to see Mamma like this. She's always the strong one, binding us together." 

"She'll be fine, In Sha Allah." Faiz reassured her. 

The doctor exited the examination room and approached us. "Are you related to Mrs Gul Jamshed?" 

The three of us stood up at the same time.

"Yes, we are." Faiz nodded.

"Well, clearly her state is caused by severe lack of nutrition and dehydration." The doctor, a petite woman, explained. "She may also possibly be suffering from a severe form of stress or depression. She's awake, but she's not saying a word, just staring blankly at the ceiling. I would recommend taking her to see a professional."

"Will she be okay?" Rida asked, worriedly.

"We have administered her some IV fluids, which should help her physically." The doctor replied. "But make sure she eats properly, full meals. I will give you a chart with best food recommendations in a situation like this. But equally important is her mental health, because if you're not careful, it can take a toll on her physical health as well." 

"We'll take very good care of her, don't worry." Faiz said.

"Okay, well, I'll prescribe some medications that she must have, and she must visit her GP after five days so that they can monitor her condition." 

"Can we go and see her?" Rida asked.

The doctor allowed it, and as I began to follow the siblings inside, my phone started ringing.