Chapter 24

For the rest of the time he spent with the kids, Nakku barely said anything which neither one of them noticed since by lunch time Elkis came back from her interview and was happy to report that she had gotten the job. Nakku's reason for suddenly becoming the quiet type was because he was still in shock over witnessing Greige revive those dying flowers. He knew that what he saw was impossible but that didn't change the fact that it did happen.

"Thanks again for watching the kids Nakku." Elkis said. "You're a real friend. They didn't give you any trouble did they?"

"No. They were fine." He answered. "But Elkis can I ask you something about them?"

"Sure. What is you want to ask me?"

"When you agreed to take care of them did you find any unusual about either one of them in their files or something?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Because...Because...Uh...Uh...Okay I'm going to tell you about something I saw today and please don't think I'm crazy when I do."

"What? What did you see?"

"Griege, the boy. He...He brought dead flowers back to life."

"Come again?"

"Earlier today when I was showing them around town he told me that for some reason he can bring dying flowers back to life. Now of course I didn't believe that but he insisted on proving it to me so he asked me to pull over to the flower shop. I did it just to humor him and he touched some wilting flowers that were in front of the shop. Elkis they...They came back to life."

"Nakku is this a joke?"

"I'm not messing with you. I actually saw it happen."

"You're still drinking Irish coffee in the morning aren't you? I told you to stop that. It's not healthy to drink early in the day."

"I wasn't drunk. That kid there's...There's something not right about him."

"Nakku how can you say a thing like that?"

"It's true. You know he sneaks around and spies on people? Eves dropping on their conversations?"

"What child doesn't do that?"

"Alright how about the fact that he thinks we're all story book characters?"

"What are you talking about?"

"When I was in the car with the kids today he had this book with him and he told me that I was really a character that was in that book. I was and apparently so was Lusha."

"He has a very active imagination."

"Elkis this wasn't him playing some pretend game. He actually believes that."

"I think you're freaking out for nothing."

"All I'm saying is that maybe you should consider finding out some more information on them. Especially that Greige kid."

"You're acting like he's mentally unstable."

"I'm not saying that but I am saying their might be a little something off about him. Maybe some birth defects that you didn't know about. Who are his biological parents or how was he born? What's his genetics?"

"This is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with him and besides even if I did want to look into all that I can't. The agency has no records of anything regrading his birth or his parents."

"What do you mean they don't have any records of all that?"

"What I mean is they don't know. They don't know who his parents were or when he was born or where he was born. All they know is he was found as a baby just outside of town ten years ago."