Chapter 21

Prince Jellal, first born son and only child of King Lysander and Queen Hermia, heir to the throne of Northern Fiore. He took his position very seriously and cared very much for his people with s desire to one day become a great king. There was just two problems. Problem number one, although his parents doted and adored him they were very overprotective of him. He wasn't allowed to leave the castle without an escort which bothered him because how could he lead and serve his subjects if he couldn't even get to know them? Thus he began disguising himself as castle guard so he could sneak out and observe the peasantry without being noticed.

Then there was problem number two, his parents insisting that he marry before he take the throne. Two times his parents had arranged for him to marry someone. The first time it was when he was just an infant or toddler, his parents had decided to have him marry the newborn daughter of a nobleman once they reached the proper age but shortly after that said nobleman was killed and his wife and child both disappeared. Now they had arranged for him to wed Princess Mirajane of Southern Fiore. But the thing was Jellal wasn't ready to get married. He wanted to focus on becoming a good king first. 

And he was very determined to accomplish that goal. He always paid attention to his lessons, he studied the history of his kingdom and the royal family, he learned how to make trades with other lands, he did his best to always be moral and honorable, when he was a boy he even got a tattoo over his eye of the royal crest to show his devotion to his kingdom which pleased his father but horrified his mother. All in all he was everything that was expected of a future heir save for the fact that he would not agree to an arranged marriage at this time or stay confined to the castle.

"But son Princess Mirajane would make a perfect wife." His father told him that evening. "She's beautiful, talented, impeccable, and in desperate need of a husband."

"But I'm not ready for that Father. Besides if she's so wonderful why am I her only suitor? Shouldn't a princess like her have more?"

"She should but there aren't many takers. Apparently there's some ridiculous rumor that her mother married a giant and that she has a brother who was born a giant."

"You don't believe in giants Father?"

"Yes but I don't believe someone of the royal family would marry one."

"Well no one thought Mother would marry you."

"That's different son, we're both human."

"Father why is so important that I get married now? What's wrong with that?"

"It's tradition. I was your age when I married your mother, your grandfather was your age when he married your grandmother, and so on and so on."

"But I'm not you or my grandfather. I have plenty of time for that."

"Time goes by quicker than you think and I don't want you to waste it."

"Be honest Father this isn't about tradition. You're worried that I won't be able to handle being king so you want someone more experienced to help me. Am I right? After all Princess Mirajane has been ruling her kingdom since her parents died for almost two years."

"It has nothing to do with that."

"Yes it does."

"It doesn't and we will discuss this later but right now I have to attend a meeting with my council. In the mean time visit your mother. She hasn't seen you all day."

Jellal huffed in frustration but put on a smile for his mother's sake and went to visit her in her bed chamber. She had recently become ill and was instructed to stay in bed until she recovered.