Chapter 47

When Juvia returned to her bedroom she put on the cloak she found in her wardrobe. It was fairly simple, nothing eye catching but suitable for the season of Autumn. Once she had buttoned it properly, she apologized to Gajeel for getting him involved and then urged him to leave the castle while she was gone. After that she went to join Gray in a carriage he had procured and it took them into the forest. 

For the longest time, neither one of them spoke a word during the ride and the carriage only stopped when Gray wanted to search the area for Natsu but he was no where to be seen and no one he talked to knew where he was. Juvia secretly hoped that Gray wouldn't be able to find him and eventually give up but she underestimated his stubborness.

"You know." She said after deciding to break the silence. "Maybe we should return home."

"And let the thief escape?" He asked. "What would people think if I spared the life of someone who stole from me?"

"That there's actually a man hiding behind the beast."

"Well there isn't. I've never been a man. I've been a beast since day one so stop trying to find some nonexistent humanity in me."

"Even so you didn't kill me when I let him go. I thought for sure you would do that."

"Well I would have but good help these days is very hard to find. Besides you're pretty much the only human being who can understand fairy language and how that's possible I don't know but I need a translator for some fairy letters I've swiped."

"That's why you let me come work for you? Why do you need to understand fairy writing?"

"None of your business. The point is you can tell me what all that scribbling of theirs means so I need you alive. At least until I no longer have any use for you."

Juvia went pasty for a moment as she tried not to picture how if he would kill her if he ever decided to do so.

"I see...Look we've been searching these woods for hours and we're having no luck finding him. I think he's probably gone for good and we're wasting our time. So maybe e should give up?"

"Oh you'd like that wouldn't you?"

"Yes I would especially since you want to kill him over stealing a book. You have millions of books and other valuable things. Do you really need it back?"

"Considering what he's going to use it for, yes."

"But you don't know what he's going to use it for."

"Yes I do. The book he stole is one that can reveal the aliments, weaknesses, and injuries of someone. He's going to use it to discover my weak areas so he can kill me."

"What gives you that idea?"

"Because when it comes to me, people only have two view points. They either want something from me or they want to destroy me. He and I have been rivals for years and he would like nothing more than to end my existence."

"Why must you always look for the worst in people?"

"Why must you always look for the best in people?"

"Because expecting the worst in people would make me very lonely and sad."

"Well expecting the best in people would make me very stupid and easy to take advantage of."

"Will you stop calling me stupid? Because I'm not."

"You called me stupid earlier."

"Yes but you called me stupid first." She then thought for a moment. "But I see your point. Maybe I was a little out of line earlier and if I'm going to work for you we should probably try to be more open minded. Apologizing to each other would be a good start."